help with engine management light problem

Champstar

The van is a pug 2.2 hdi 2006

Hi all

Our five month european trip is in tatters and hangs in the balance. My van is now undriveable due to a fault with the engine management light. The problem first occured on our return journey back home in dec whilst using the cruise the van would shudder and the engine managemnet light would come on with loss of power. After stopping and restarting the engine all was well so booked it into local Pug dealer who read the fault codes and said it was a fuel pressure problem and replaced the fuel filter, tested and said all was well so set off on a 500 mile overnight trip to tunnel and the same thing happened. tried to carryon without cruise but after a few hundred miles the same thing happened whilst driving without cruise. It seems to be when acceleration is discontinued when trying to maintain a speed. had to drive home nearly 400 miles at 40 mile and hour. Van is booked in on Monday but wondered if anyone had heard of this sort of thing or could suggest some possible causes to try and help inform me when I take the van into the garage.

Managed to rearrange tunnel booking for about 3 weeks time in hope that the fault can be fixed....took a career break from work and now our dreams are in tatters.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all why drive it 400 miles when it is obviously sick? Do you not have recovery insurance? Driving a vehicle when its not running well could cause all sorts of further problems.

Its almost impossible to come up with worthwhile suggestions as to what may be the cause and even if we do make suggestions what are you going to do? It could be a faulty injector, failing high pressure pump, blocked fuel lines, damaged wiring, faulty sensor on engine or any one of a dozen or more other causes.

D.

I understand it could be numerous things but I am not mechanically minded and just wanted some hints for when talking to mechanic as the last time it was" just a fuel pressure problem but that will be sorted by changing fuel filter"

Thanks guys for your replies so far

Dave is right (much as I hate to agree with him again!), the entire point of an engine management warning light is to prevent damage by alerting the driver to the need to get it sorted.

There are Peugeot dealers all over the country and surely a visit to one in Kent would have been more cost effective than an extra 800 mile round trip?

An ask on here might even have located a helpful Peugeot agent for you near where you were?

Many of us have had breakdowns or needed expensive repairs miles away from home or in a foreign land where the inconsiderate natives are not only unable to speak the universal language but sometimes rip us off too - it goes with owning any vehicle out of warranty and the only cure is not to have one!

In the grand scheme of things these are but a minor inconvenience along life's trail of ups and downs.

Nobody was ill, nobody was hurt and a bit of cash will put it right so let's try and keep it in perspective shall we!

I know I could have tried a dealer closer to where I was but panic is a dangerous thing!!!!

It was a Saturday and wouldn't have got one till monday. I perhaps should have tried the breakdown service but was worried that because it was intermittant that they would have done nothing.

Hindsight is a great thing but at the time I did what felt best for me and my family.

Im trying to look on the bright side and yes cash will sort it...hopefully not too much cash tho as that eats into my trip fund. But no one has been hurt and we are safe and well back at home and trying to be relaxed about it.

Thanks for the replies heres hoping that all goes well tomorrow.

I'd start with checking the MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure sensor), as these can get contaminated with the crap that the egr valve(exhuast gas recirculation) allows into the manifold. Like oil mist etc. Thats why you should never overfill the sump on these engines at all. I had the same problem on my wifes vauxhall corsa cdti diesel. It wouldnt go very well sometimes as the crudded up MAP sensor thought it was overboosting and shut down the turbo. I took the egr valve to bits and it was perfect. I next looked at MAP sensor and it was crudded up. I changed the sensor for one I bought on E.Bay for £15.00 and it now runs like a dream. It's not a big job and takes about ten minutes. It is mounted high up in the inlet manifold and is held with just one screw.

Worth a try as they can be a pain if dirty, as they cause the management software to go into limp home mode. Good luck.

As there are no mechanics any more only technicians Peter may have a good point because unless the OBD fault code read out specifies a specific fault nobody will physically take anything off and check anything any more?

That said as you do have the engine management warning light come on a specific fault (faults) should be logged in the memory even if the light has gone off?

However I doubt I would return to the same inept dealer and give him yet more of my cash!!

Tracker - 2013-02-24 4:03 PM

As there are no mechanics any more only technicians Peter may have a good point because unless the OBD fault code read out specifies a specific fault nobody will physically take anything off and check anything any more?

That said as you do have the engine management warning light come on a specific fault (faults) should be logged in the memory even if the light has gone off?

However I doubt I would return to the same inept dealer and give him yet more of my cash!!

UTTER ROT!!!

While not every mechanic can decifer the mysteries of fault codes there are plenty that can and do on a daily basis. "As there are no mechanics any more................." Really? So exactly who do you think replaces worn out brake parts and suspension parts and engine parts for the vast majority of motorists Dick? Mechanics that's who! Mechanics are the boys on the ground floor who work in cold workshops fixing the vehicles for those who don't know how or can afford to not be interested. Mechanic/Technician or whatever, its just a name, the people who do the work are still the same people and there wouldn't be anywhere near as many cars, vans, buses, bikes, trucks on the road without them.

D.

Dave, it's strange that you feel unable to disagree without recourse to using Dick as a name and it suggests a silly petulant childish and churlish streak in you and devalues your opinion.

You have obviously never been to a main agent with an elusive electronic based fault only to be told that if the computer can't identify it they can't fix it - well I have - with several makes.

We are not talking about worn brakes, suspension or engine parts here which are generally self evident or relatively easy to diagnose so don't try and cloud the issue with red herrings when we are talking computers and electronics with many components that are largely invisible.

However I accept your point that a technician is simply a posh name for a mechanic, although I have been less than impressed with the ability of most main dealers in recent years.

Richard, Dick, whatever, its only a name. You stated there are no mechanics any more. I disagree. I once encountered a very rude and obnoxious retired ex insurance salesman who had also managed a sub post office, should I also deduce that all ex insurance salesmaen who ran sub post offices ar rude and obnoxious?

There are plenty of workshops out there staffed by competent and consciencious (sp?) people who are more than capable of diagnosing and fixing the problems. Some are mechanics and some are technicians. for the record a technician is a mechanic but with better qualifications. personally I never got past mechanic grade.

D.

Dave Newell - 2013-02-24 6:09 PM

personally I never got past mechanic grade.

D.

Now that I can understand given your own inability to respond to anything you disagree with without antagonism.

Let me just remind you that it was you that chose to start this spat and bring up whatever history you felt would strengthen your own lack of justification for not replying objectively and with courtesy.

I was not rude to you to start with so why did you feel the need to be rude to me?

Are you unable to put your own point of view without feeling the need to be aggressive, which in turn leads to an aggressive response where none would otherwise be?

I don't ever show any hostility to you if I initially disagree with what you post so why should you?

Getting away from helping this poor unfortunate fellow traveller aren't we.

One problem that I have found is that the Main Dealers "Technician" is all very well but the REAL fixers of problem vehicles are more often than not to be found in what people derogitively dismiss as "Back street garages"

Apologies to the original poster in that we are too busy having personal spats to help you as we should be

Syd - 2013-02-24 6:41 PM

Getting away from helping this poor unfortunate fellow traveller aren't we.

When you get people jump down your throat instead of rebutting with courtesy every time they disagree Syd it gets very wearing - especially when it is generally the same few usual suspects time and time again.

Maybe it is indicative that there is not much more that can be said to help the original poster?

There are mechanics and there are Fiat service personel, the two should never by confused. The former are people like my friend who started rebuilding traction engines whilst still at school and now runs his own garage, the latter are in my experiance not to be trusted near a van.

Guys,

You are all right if you stood back and took a breath. The experience of the majority in relation to main dealers is that they cannot sort the problem unless the computer tells them the answer. If no answer then we will change this or that. The real mechanic, referred to in many areas as the back street mechanic has been there, got the tee shirt and the video and knows the answer to the problem in most cases. I have no faith in main dealers, not because the mechanics/technicians are no good but because of the people between the customer and the real people who will fix it. Instead of saying to a mechanic, this is the problem what do I need, they say the computer says this, change X. What do you expect the poor bloody worker to do. He changes X. I have spoken to some very switched on mechanics who know what they are talking about but seldom get to speak to the customer. Whilst vehicles have become very technical the problems are pretty much the same as they were years ago and many mechanics/technicians know the answere but are not given the opportunity to say so. We are all stuck behind the eight ball, because of warranty problems we have to go to main dealers whereas if the warranties etc are expired we go to the 'back street garage'. where we get the answer and the fix at a reasonable cost. Dave obviously took umbridge to some of Trackers terms but he/his business is one which has got the tee shirt etc and can fix problems. Tracker is right in some respects but should be decide to revisit his choice of words may prefer a different way of presenting his case. To the original post, Go to where you are comfortable with. Should you get the benefit of advice from Nick (Euroserve) then take it. He has fiats but your vehicle engine is the same.

Art

I'd clear all the faults and drive it. Then re-connect the code reader and see what comes up, as some of those codes may be uncleared old ones that have been fixed, as they are stored in memory until cleared.

Garage replaced the air flow MAS and tested the van..all seems well. Picked up van and took for a test run along the motorway and seems to drive fine. Will take on a longer test tomorrow but heres fingers crossed...thanks to all who posted and sorry to started a thread that caused a spat.

thanks guys

Champstar - 2013-02-25 5:00 PM

Garage replaced the air flow MAS and tested the van..all seems well. Picked up van and took for a test run along the motorway and seems to drive fine. Will take on a longer test tomorrow but heres fingers crossed...thanks to all who posted and sorry to started a thread that caused a spat.

thanks guys

Glad all is well and don't worry about spats - it wasn't your fault at all and you've done nothing wrong so don't let a few bad tempered grumpy old geezers put you off!

Have a good trip!

Archived