how to un sorn

silverback

Hello, if i were to sorn the car when we go for our 3 month trips, cos it just sits on the drive, is it a matter of just taxing it again before the day i get back? online? do you need any paperwork to do this? asking cos I have never thought of sorning the car before and we do at least 2 x 3 month trips a year and the tax on it is £270 per year.

cheers

Jonathan 8-)

But don't forget you pay the full month, not pro rata. So for example if you wanted to tax it from today (15th), you'll pay for the full month of April.i.e. from 1st. So if you can wait till the first of a month you'll save a month road tax

silverback - 2020-04-15 7:12 PM

thanks for the link and other info, so it looks like i will have to take the cars V5C with me to tax it before i come home

cheers Jonathan

No, just do it as soon as you get home, it starts immediately.

You don't have to wait for a tax disc to arrive in the post like the good old days :D

Keith.

Den - 2020-04-15 8:28 PM

Hi Jonathan

When you Sorn the car you’ll notice when the cheque arrives the paperwork makes mention to a ref No to re tax your car with no hassle.

Brilliant service

thanks Den, just the info i needed B-) B-)

Jonathan

Notice from one of the replies, ( when the cheque arrives ) does that mean I would have to go to my bank to cash it in ? not an easy thing to do in the present situation, don't the DVLA offer repayment direct into ones bank account, but what of the re taxing number when taxing again. 8-)

chas - 2020-04-18 9:48 AM

Notice from one of the replies, ( when the cheque arrives ) does that mean I would have to go to my bank to cash it in ? not an easy thing to do in the present situation...

They only pay the refund in duty by cheque, they do not offer any other method.

I paid a refund cheque into our bank account by using the banks app on my phone and taking photographs of the cheque. Another forum member posted the cheque with a paying in slip to his bank. Look on your banks website for advice.

chas - 2020-04-18 9:48 AM

...but what of the re taxing number when taxing again. 8-)

The SORN confirmation apparently gives a unique code for use when re-taxing when you want to re-use your MH.

Keith.

If a vehicle is SORNed on-line, when the application is complete and successful a confirmatory screen should apear. This screen carries a 16-digit reference number (nnnn-nnnn-nnnn-nnnn) and the same number shoild be included in a confirmatory email sent to the applicant.

I’m not sure if that 16-digit number is used when retaxing a SORNed vehicle (I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere else) but the vehicle’s registration number, plus the 11-digit reference number on the vehicle’s V5C certificate, can certainly be used.

My Rapido motorhome - SORNed on 29 March and with an email from the DVLA confirming this - continues to be shown on the "Check if a vehicle is taxed” webpage as being taxed until April 2021 and I have yet to receive a refund cheque.

The DVLA is still not responding to email enquiries.

Archived