insurance renewal

tonyg3nwl

Hi folks, I have been trawling through back numbers of mmm trying to find telephone numbers for potential insurers,

I cant find many adverts relating to insurers, so I wonder why.

even trying to access club websites , meet with unable to connect etc.

One company said I was too early, and cant get a quote. earlier than 3 weeks before expiry of existing policy

Have insurers given up adverts in mmm...

caravan club said I was on wrong number for motorhome.as it was caravan number..and could not tell me the correct number.

my current insurance expires 31st march, so I have a short while to arrange it,

any recommendations

tonyg3nwl

All the offers you get from companies or brokers will be from a limited number of underwriters who actually do the insuring. You can get different offers from the same underwriter by going through different companies.

Comparison websites are useful, but companies cut the specifications to get to the top of the list.

Check that the excess is reasonable, windscreen cover, foreign travel, using other vehicles, and so on is covered.

Always worth trying Saga – the underwriter is a Lloyds syndicate. Been with them for three years so far, renewal went up a tenner from last year. I check prices every year. Strangely Comfort (Aviva) offered a price over twice that of Saga for the second year running.

I’ve been with Safeguard for a few years and we had a accident in France in 2014 not our fault and Safeguard were brilliant.

Last Dec we had our new premium in the post and it said £399 and the next day got another from them saying £539 dated the same as the other.

I gave Comfort a call and had a quote off them for exactly the same cover as Safeguard and they quoted me £339, so Comfort got my business.

John.

Hi

My concern is, are we comparing like for like. It’s not just about the price, it’s the cover.

For example, I am looking at quotes for renewal at the moment. I like comforts premium, and have used them in the past, but have a concern about the European breakdown cover. For a major fault will it bring you back to Uk or just take you to a local dealer? The policy document is not clear to me so I will be phoning to find out.

The different levels of cover between companies is a minefield.

Peter

Peter......you are right about it being a minefield and i'm afraid you will need to 'shop around' as what is good for one person, isn't necessarily for another. Eg; someone mentioned Saga yet for me they gave such a crazy quote which was more than double what i pay with Scenic, i asked if they were sure they were quoting for my van model! However, for house insurance, Saga came out tops!!

The method i always use when the renewal quote arrives, i phone around the various motorhome insurers. But make sure their quotes are based on the identical cover you have, ie figure for screen cover, whatever figure you have for excess...and so on. Keep note of the company you're calling and what their figure is.

Another tip is don't be too hasty in accepting your current renewal quote. They know most of their customers will be trying to get a better deal elsewhere and even if you can only find one offering a few pound difference, they will either match or probably even drop below. I've only ever been with one company who wouldn't do that so they lost me as a customer.

Bulletguy - 2019-03-05 6:46 PM

Another tip is don't be too hasty in accepting your current renewal quote. They know most of their customers will be trying to get a better deal elsewhere and even if you can only find one offering a few pound difference, they will either match or probably even drop below. I've only ever been with one company who wouldn't do that so they lost me as a customer.

Beware when your existing insurer agreed to match or better another quote as well.

My insurer agreed to do that on one occasion. No mention at the time, but only when the renewal documents arrived did it become apparent that they had reduced the premium by also reducing the level of cover. We had three cars insured with them at the time, but they lost all my business on subsequent renewals out of principal.

Deneb - 2019-03-05 7:46 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-03-05 6:46 PM

Beware when your existing insurer agreed to match or better another quote as well.

My insurer agreed to do that on one occasion. No mention at the time, but only when the renewal documents arrived did it become apparent that they had reduced the premium by also reducing the level of cover. We had three cars insured with them at the time, but they lost all my business on subsequent renewals out of principal.

You have up to 14 days to cancel any insurance premium for any reason. It's a legal right for everyone and most companies generally tell you that at the point of sale but even if they don't, it will be on your documents when the insurance arrives.

Bulletguy - 2019-03-05 9:19 PM

You have up to 14 days to cancel any insurance premium for any reason. It's a legal right for everyone and most companies generally tell you that at the point of sale but even if they don't, it will be on your documents when the insurance arrives.

Yes, but having received an invitation renewal comprising nearly 30 pages of documents by email, reviewed and digested the contents, telephoned to negotiate a premium reduction which was granted, and then received by email a copy of the new certificate and what ostensibly appears to be the whole nearly 30 page document bundle again, I wonder how many people would be bother to re-read it all.

I didn't, assuming that as no mention of any policy changes had been made in my telephone conversation of the premium being reduced to match or better an alternative insurer's quotation, that the details of the insurance were exactly as originally stated. And I am normally pretty astute when it comes to reading documents before agreeing to anything.

Only some time later did I discover that the general excess had been increased, a previously non-existent excess for windscreen replacement had been imposed and breakdown cover had been reduced.

I felt it was worth a warning, as it seems that although insurers expect full disclosure from the customer, it is not necessarily always a two way street.

Hi

tried safeguard as we were with them a few years ago, but went through questions, and they queried my date of birth.. it transpired that misheard and back checked somehow, realise the date they now had was transcribed incorrectly, and then when corrected, advise that they were unable to insure oner 79 years of age.. .

referred me to another company, now waiting for written quotes.

As I dont have any future intentions of continental visits, I asked if they could reduce price excluding continental cover..no it is all in the policy inclusive...

Now waiting for alternative written quotes.

tonyg3nwl

Archived