leisure battery

mids

Hi

haven't used motorhome for a while so have had it plugged in and it is fully charged 12.8 v but for some reason hand touched battery and it was hot now worried it may have been over heating or is this the norm. Motorhome is only a year old so we have little experience. Thanks in advance

Hi according to manual it has a automatic charging system , so am i right in saying that i just plug into mains ? Been doing this when not using motorhome. Is it normal for battery to get hot or does this indicate a fault ( no smell)

ours is the Accordo 105 and the charger is under the passenger side bench seat with the fuse box (i think)

if you use it don't leave it charging unattended or overnight, I would just charge it for an hour a day but it depends how much 12v power you use. There's probably a fuse you can trip to switch the charger off whilst still using hook up.

Sounds like you have a shorted cell in the Battery. STOP charging it NOW. If you leave it to settle and draw some some charge off you will probably find the voltage is about 10.5 volts.

Whatever, the battery should not be getting hot and requires to be replaced.

You also need to investigate why the battery has failed. Its possible it has just been a faulty battery but could be because the charger is constantly over charging it and it has boiled dry over the year, or it could be its been allowed to get totally flat for too long and the pates have swollen with sulphation and one of the cells shorted.

Please do not attempt to use the battery, when driving it will be getting a charge from the alternator and could explode, so stop charging now and disconnect removing the negative lead 1st. Keep the positive lead insulated from shorting to the chassis when you remove it.

It will charge from the engine alternator, that is what they do. I would disconnect the negative lead as simplest way of isolating the battery in safety. As the negative lead is in effect the chassis then if you short spanner to any chassis items it will not spark. You can also leave the negative lead lying next to battery . Leave the positive connected to the battery so you do not have to insulate it.

Thanks for your info , spoke to manager at the dealership he said if i take fuse for battery out this will isolated it rather than mess about with battery leads would you agree.said don't drive without doing one or the other.

Yes I agree. I did not mention fuses as can be confusing which ones. They are often or should be located near the battery in the red positive leads. There will be one for charging the battery from the engine and another supplying power from the battery to the Habitation systems. Sometime there is just a single fuse. So you need to follow the red lead from the battery (or leads) and remove fuses for each connection. Hence why I suggested removing the negative (black wires) connection. Just loosen the nut on the clamp a turn or two and the clamp will lift off.

Hi thanks for your input, wantto go out in van on sunday so need to get this right. Have looked in fuse box one fuse marked van battery + .Battery terminals are like a plug wire held ,in place by a screw . Hopless at car mechanics .would hope just removing fuse would work but how would i know.

The fuse should be directly adjacent to the leisure battery (not in the fuse box). This fuse will be an inline fuse on the red positive cable, close to the leisure battery.

If the battery terminals have a screw fitting (like a plastic handwheel), then just unscrew and the cable will just come off.

It might be best if you engaged the services of a mobile mechanic or auto electrician, if you're not sure.

Hi its to late now battery probably had it. But been thinking what may of caused it to overheat and was it my fault should i have turned the master switch on in van whilst charging battery . was never told we had to when we brought it or does it say in the manual. When you are away you would turn it on turn to use appliances .but on the drive didn't think jt was necessary. Battery would be charging whilst driving with mains not turned on .

Archived