mifi question

regmcm

good day. another newbie question.

I have bought a TP link tl mr6400 MIFI router for the Motorhome.

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07RM95YFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My specs were i wanted a powerful modem with an external antennae. However it does not have a battery and needs to be powered continuously. I also have a wireless alarm system which runs from the wifi system.

So it looks like i will need to have the auxiliary 12 v electric system "always on" ? to keep the alarm system armed?

Is this a problem? or can anybody recommend a router that has a built in battery with external antennae?

or is their another solution that i have completely missed being an absolute gimp?

What additional advantage does the mifi offer?

We just share from my mobile with unlimited data (inc tethering) via my Three sim and get perfect coverage in and out of the van.

The phone is plugged in a lot to keep topped up - could you just do this?

plop - 2020-09-28 9:56 AM

We just share from my mobile with unlimited data (inc tethering) via my Three sim and get perfect coverage in and out of the van.

Thats all I do. I either use the iBoost antenna for wifi if I can find it and if not just turn on the phone hotspot and use my mobile data allowance.

I think the Mifi is a good idea with an antenna if it can bring in signals in weak areas but so far Ive not had a problem in most places just using the phone or the wifi antenna.

I have a similar router in my motorhome.

That router consumes about 1A, so it would drain a typical leisure battery in a few days. If you just want it for short periods of time while you're out then it should be OK, but if you want it to work while your motorhome is in storage for example then you'll need to make sure you have sufficient solar power to offset the drain the router will give.

Portable MIFI devices are an option but their batteries will only last a couple of days too.

So the answer to your question will depend on what period of time you want to keep it on for, and what the battery & solar setup in your motorhome is.

Thanks for your replies. I wanted a MIFI system mainly because i am setting up a wireless alarm and camera system and this needs to be connected to a wifi system to work, both the MIFI router and the alarm systems have an internal battery which gives about 8 hours of battery life. Perfect for when we go wandering. We also have a solar panel so keeping them charged when off grid shouldn't be an issue? The Huawei router also comes with a pair of external aerial connections so a cheap 4g omnidirectional antenna which can be easily removed when travelling means no need for an expensive Iboost antennae. I am installing the system today so will report back on how well it works ...

plop - 2020-09-28 9:56 AM

We have a Mifi, but mostly nowadays do this too. The mifi does come in handy still during extended stays in eg Portugal, where we’d be exceeding phone providers roaming period and where domestic data sims are very cheap.

Of course this may change from January: on the one hand such extended stays in Europe are likely to be out, but on the other hand who knows what phone providers will do over time about roaming?

So we’re certainly not chucking the mifi out just yet.

Archived