motor cycle rack

Roy

Does anyone have any information regarding the use of the Easylifter Hydraulic Rack, i will be using it to carry a motor bike (129kgs)on my hymer(4000kgs chassis).As this rack fits on to the tow bar my main concern is it safe and stable, would i be better fiting a dedicated rack to the hymer, your opions would be appreciated. Thanks Roy

Guest howardc
Hi Roy, I have similarly investigated a motorcycle rack for my 3500kg chausson. I have decided on a rack that fits into the towbar fixing bracket and not the towball. I have had the towbar fitted (armitage trailers in Knottingly) and they do a m/c rack that slides into the fixing beams. To check weights I have weigh bridged both axles and the van . I estimate I can have a motorcyle/scooter up to 105kg comfortably. i noted my leisure battery is fitted right next to the rear locker doors hence max fulcrum effect against the back axle. When I fit the m/c rack I will relocate the leisure battery & a second one I have fitted to under the passenger seat. This will free up more allowance for overhang weights. best of luck in your endeavours howardc

As Howard points out, the big danger is that of overloading the rear axle. The leverage effect of hanging a big weight that far back is to add a much greater weight to the rear axle. And don't forget you've already added a very substantial weight - that of the towbar. Just as you add an increased wieght to the rear axle, you also unload the front axle by the same extra amount - affecting steering and traction. You can calculate the effect in advance provided you know the weight of your motorhome and the current load on each axle. If you need more info, look in your back MMMs for August 2004 - my article 'It Ain't Heavy' gives full details. Better be sure before you buy.

Guest Ian Stewart
Re weights of scooters /motorcycles. There really aren't very many within that limit. Older models are fairly hefty unless you stick with a small 50cc model. Current Honda 125cc models : ANF125 Innova - 99.5 Kg SV100 Lead - 102 Kg 125 Dylan - 120 Kg SH125i - 120 Kg FES125 Pantheon - 140 Kg I went for the Innova rather than a Lead because of weight and wheel size.

Hello Ian thanks for the information, I have this week sold my 250cc bike and i intend to buy a Honda Innova, from your memo i see that you have one , are you generally pleased with it and does it carry two people with out too much of a struggle

Archived