motorhome hire

Guest Gill

Guest Gill
I am thinking of starting a small business from home hiring motorhomes (we have two) and would appreciate any advice on the pros and cons accociated with this. Thanks Gill

Some thoughts off the cuff! Don,t undercut the competition by too much. Think about how you will handle a serious breakdown in the middle of somebodies holiday. (cam belt or 5th gear for example?) Look closely at insurance to cover you and your customers in such an eventuality as above that would cover the cost of you hiring from a bigger concern in order top honour your commitments without you standing a loss. Take a LARGE deposit. Small damage can be expensive to cure. Do you really want to share your own motorhome with others? If its a business then keep it a business. Don,t mix business with pleasure! I wouldn,t lend mine to anybody!

Guest Jules
Hiring your motorhome would be a nightmare, if you have ever seen how a rented house is abused, (if not talk to a landlord) I can only imagine that it would be thrashed and dented within months or maybe minutes. Why not sell the surplus motorhome and walk away with a smile. Apart from all the above, think about valleting the seashore out of it along with wear and tear of slamming doors, forced hinges etc etc. We considered renting our home or buying a new house and renting it out until we could move, then we saw the cottage next door after a seemingly nice couple moved out! My advice would be don't do it there must be easier ways of money making. Jules

Guest Gill
Hi Jules Thanks for your thoughts on my queery;I agree with you. Even though we have bought another motorhome our previous one is stil very special to us. We have taken great care with it and improved it where we could (we don't even push the door shut we open the handle and close it carefully). However, there are many people who do hire motorhomes without getting emotionally atteched to them, but maybe not me. There is a touch of irony though in that if you do sell the 'van to the seeningly nice couple and they abuse it, but at least I won't see. Regards Gill

Guest Jules
Hi Gill, If I could be sure more people treated their motorhome as you do, I'd buy second hand. We too look after things, people coment that our tent must not do many camps but this is because we brush it down and pack it away ready to open up and erect again in the correct order! It looks new and it was purchased in 1992. We saw a couple with free range chilren in the motorhome showroom a while ago and we saw the child swing on the cooker controls, swing on the bathroom door and slam doors etc etc etc. This has made us think that we will order from the factory to ensure a virgin van that will be cherished and well used for years. All the best Jules

Guest David Powell
These stories remind me of three Mackzone Ecu's that we went to look at a while ago at Glenn's a few years ago. One had a lovelly letter from the previous owners asking the new owners to look after their beloved motor home. Hope they did as it was beautifully "preloved"

Archived