municipal sites in France

Guest john lovell

Guest john lovell
would anyone know of any listing or publication available that lists municipal sites and motorhome bays etc that are to be found in Towns and Villages around France.I understand that you are allowed to use these for a night whilst passing through.Also,do similar facilities exist in Spain.We are new to the Motorhome experience and would appreciate any advise on the above.

Guest Tony Smith
Yes John - In France, 'Le Monde du Camping Car' and 'Camping Car Magazine' both give away a map each year (in the March issue) with over three thousand municipal campsites, aires etc for camping carists to use in France. My advice is, just take the plunge and go over to France (especially out of season) even without this item (if you can't find one in the U.K)as it's very easy to find these 'aires de service' and virtually every town has a camping car area designated. Special 'aires' don't exist in Spain yet. Tony.

Guest Brian Ramsden
For municipal campsites (and virtually all other campsites ) in france get the "Guide Officiel 2005 Camping Caravaning", price €12.00. For the aires de service camping cars in France, plus dedicated parking in towns for campervans, get the "Guide Officiel 2005 Étapes Camping Cars", price €7.50. These guides are available in most supermarkets and maison du presse in France. You might find them on the Amazon.fr website. They are available, at a higher price, from Alan Rogers. Le Monde du Camping Cars publish a similar guide to the aires, which some claim is more comprehensive.

Guest Brian Ramsden
I have just checked, out of curiosity, and these guides are available from www.amazon.fr just select the tab "livre" and then type Les Guides Motor Presse in the search field. However, only the 2004 versions are currently available.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I'm going to disagree with Brian's comment about the Le Monde du Camping-Car aires de services publication. This is a much thinner booklet than the one sponsored by Camping-Car and definitely far less comprehensive. My advice would be always to go for the "Guide Officiel Étapes Camping-Car" version. It would also be worth you visiting the www.campingcar-infos.com website that, incidentally, appears to indicate there is now a very limited number of non-campsite aires de services in Spain.

Hi John - whilst parked in Peniscola last Spring we were given an advert for a 'service area' : Detras Hotel Casablanca, Peniscola. Tel 657618636. (off Av. Papa Luna - North Beach). 130m from the beach, drinking water and presumably dumps - 7.50 euros for 24 hours including electricity. We did not use it as we were booked into a nearby C&CC rally. Just in case you don't know - lots of Spanish sites give generous discounts for long stays, usually 30 days and above. NB: Peniscola is where part of El Cid was filmed. Have a good trip. Cattwg

Guest Mrs J Johnson
We spent 12 weeks in France last year and are doing the same this year starting in late April.We you'se the Dutch ACSI card which has loads of sites with large swimming pools and all facilities for the price of 9.50-11.50,or 13.50euros.Give it a try.

Guest Roy Hamilton
Ref reply from Mrs J Johnson. We are going to Normand/Brittany/Loire in early May. Any need to book sites in advance? Have got the ACSI card. Thanks.

Guest Mrs J Johnson
Roy, you do not need to book sites in may ,we never booked a site last year but just found the nearest one to where we were around 4.0pm in the afternoon.All the asci sites we stayed at were wonderfull and full of Dutch people all speaking English and wanting to chat to us.We watched the football with them and had a wonderfull time.Goodluck.If you need any more info email me at Pjenny@tiscali.co.uk

Archived