new motorhomepurchase

Fesspark2

I purchased a new campervan Autosleeper warwickXL and had it delivered to me on the 20th may. I paid £71.495 for it and it has had faults with it, I sent it back and asked for my money back as is the law within 30 days, It has only been used for 2 days when the faults occured to us.sent it back to Marquis the dealer I purchased it from and asked for my money back, they offered me £57.000 any ideas of serious help would be gratefully received fesspark 2

Unfortunately initial faults are the normal but it all depends on the seriousness of them. If the faults are serious enough to preventing you from using the van then you might have a claim but somehow I think you're just going to allow Marquis to fix the problems.

Would be interesting to know what the faults were?

We had a new WarwickXL about 18 months back and have to say we are thrilled with it. There were one or two little bits and pieces that needed attention but you get that with most, if not all, new motorhomes.

Really hope you get the problem solved.

The Faults were ceiling lights flickered in The night, when not switched on , chrome around lift up cupboards

lifting off, sparewheel was hanging down and swinging around when we arrived at our first campsite,a worker at the site pointed it out to us.paint had pitted marks around the fuel filler cap.We had drove up the m5 for 30 miles with a loose wheel.locker on the floor level lock hanging off. They have put it right but we lost 3 nights of the jubilee as we came home as we were worried the lights might short out and we could not sleep. in the end we disconnected the electric and as it was cold at night could not use the heating. lost £93 site fees

as they would not return or credit us depressed we were so we asked for them to take the motorhome back they would on their terms. Fesspark2

fesspark - 2022-06-10 11:24 AM

The Faults were ceiling lights flickered in The night, when not switched on , chrome around lift up cupboards

lifting off, sparewheel was hanging down and swinging around when we arrived at our first campsite,a worker at the site pointed it out to us.paint had pitted marks around the fuel filler cap.We had drove up the m5 for 30 miles with a loose wheel.locker on the floor level lock hanging off. They have put it right but we lost 3 nights of the jubilee as we came home as we were worried the lights might short out and we could not sleep. in the end we disconnected the electric and as it was cold at night could not use the heating. lost £93 site fees

as they would not return or credit us depressed we were so we asked for them to take the motorhome back they would on their terms. Fesspark2

Try posting in https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/ which is Autosleeper specific and reaches a wider community where owners with similar experiences to yours will be of help. Though your van faults are not particularly serious they still should not be there. You bought a new van....not second hand.

It is sad when perhaps the seller should do more when doing the PDI.

I’m sure most faults would be found.

Our 1st LeVoyageur had 34 faults.

LeVoyageur did pay all our expenses, hotel and a car when we had to return it to France for rectification.

It was never perfect.

But these are quite minor faults and I’m sure they can be sorted quickly and made perfect.

We’re now on our 2nd Cathago and Goeuropean have been brilliant with the PDI’s and the first time we have had no faults.

The Malibu we kept for 5 years.

I’m sure it’s the look of the draw.

When you buy a new motorhome you have not a clue how everything works. Depending on the dealer to perform a professional PDI doesn't exist on paper. What to check. Goes your bed up or down. He just drop a amount of paper work and take your pig. If you send in your beloved former motorhome whit paper that will also dropped in garbage.

Many years ago I collected a new Kangoo van for our office from a franchised Renault dealer. The paperwork I was given included a PDI checklist with everything ticked off and signed including "Handbook and other documents handed to customer" Not only was there no handbook but there was an advice note from the shipper in big letters stuck onto the glovebox lid stating that the handbook was missing when the vehicle left the factory.

So it is very important to check over any vehicle very carefully at handover.

That said my impression (and I am NOT giving you legal advice) is that the faults (no matter how irritating and disappointing they may be) are RELATIVELY trivial and would not meet the threshold for rejection.

Theoretically there may be claims such as loss of use and your costs in facilitating rectification such as fuel or even loss of wages. Such claims only become money in your pocket if the dealer/manufacturer ( who are associated companies) agree or if they disagree you can successfully bring pressure to bear by legal process or otherwise.

By all means take competent legal advice from CAB or any organisation accessible to you through insurance, Which membership, Clubs or whatever but sadly professional one to one advice may cost more than the cost of rectification.

Better to engage with the dealer and build goodwill and get him to go over the vehicle carefully with you and agree a plan and timescale to get the faults rectified. Sadly it is in the nature of things that manufacturing defects and faulty components will happen even in a new vehicle from a prestigious ? manufacturer.

I don't think you have formally rejected the vehicle but if you have then this ups the stakes considerably but whether you have or not you should still get on with your chosen course of action without undue delay.

Record the defects with photos and make notes of all conversations with the dealer and ideally confirm conversations by e-mail.

"{person} Thank you for speaking to me today and I am pleased that you will be able to take my van in on [ ] to rectify the following faults :-

a)

b) etc

As agreed I will bring the van to you at [ ] "

Be polite but tenacious and never lose your temper. A repair done because you will be a continuing nuisance if they don't do it is still a win !

HymerVan - 2022-06-13 9:42 AM

the faults (no matter how irritating and disappointing they may be) are RELATIVELY trivial and would not meet the threshold for rejection.

Agreed.

HymerVan - 2022-06-13 9:42 AM

Be polite but tenacious and never lose your temper.

As always in negotiations.

Don't be a pushover, but it really helps if they like you so actually want to help you and see you again :-D

Archived