new to motor homes

Guest carol

hello everyone, it has been interesting reading all the posts on this forum. Last Sunday we went and 'did it' and bought a motor home - 1996 Elddis Autoquest Elite 350s, we go to pick it up all being well on the Wed 24th. Charles my partner has no qualms about driving our new aquisition, but me - well I drive a little Suzuki swift! so I am a little apprehensive. Any hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. How do you find the overcab bed? It looks a bit claustrophobic - not much headroom etc. I have lots of other questions too, but all in good time. thanks in anticipation Carol

Guest Brian Ramsden
If you are seriously concerned about driving such a vehicle, the Caravan Club run a course, which is open to non-members. Look on their website - http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ however, I am sure that all youneed to remove you r worries is a little experience. We have the same size 'van as you and a Daewoo Matiz. We wold much rather drive the 'van than the car, especially in traffic.

Guest Sheila
We have an overcab bed. It's huge, much bigger than our bed at home. I really like sleeping up there. I like the fact that you are going upstairs to bed! I feel separated from the rest of the living area, which helps me to sleep. It's a bit like a cocoon. Also, when I wake up in the morning I can look out of the little window by my head and get a good high view of wherever we are parked.

Hi Carol yep the course would be great - However you wanted that last week didnt you First remember that it is wider than the car ALSO it is HIGHER - know of experienced van drivers who have clouted the top oif their new (Higher ) MH Visibility to the left hand side is not as good as in a car My wife acts as look out - and I trust her judgement - she also helps on the continent to watch for the sign boards Dont be scared of having your partner guide you when you reverse - I have to be guided when we go out in the metro, but would happyliy reverse the m MH into the same gap unaidedHave friend who drives continental trucks with trailers on. She cannt reverse her mini whatever she does If you dont like the overcab bed - It makes a really good storage area for jumpers etc Put another post on here if you have any other problems

Hi Carol, the Camping and Caravanning Club also do courses, I have been on one and can highly recommend them; run by really experienced instructors they give you all the simple tips you need and are run at cost price. I'd even suggest that they could make membership of the club pay for itself if you are considering the course. Don't be afraid, go for it. It will prove a peasure and you will wonder why you were nervous.

The over cab bed can alternatively be used to house the TV, stow the tables and camping chairs and perhaps the window blinds. If you also have a downstairs bed arrangement posibility the upstairs area can still store the bedclothes when not in use. "The possibilities are endless" said the man. The joy is a motorhome can be what YOU want it to be. Don,t be scared of its size, just drive it slowly and take your time. If you are not sure don,t gamble on stopping before you reverse into that wall. (I have done it! now I have a rear facing camera) Also when turning a corner make sure you have the rear axle at the corner before you wind the steering wheel. "Take the road you require" White lines? "Its only paint" Enjoy

Guest David Powell
The main thing is don't worry about it. What ever your mental attitude is when driving your little SUZY, will be the same with your Motor Home...just twice as wide...three times as high...five times longer...drive half the speed...and use the mirrors a lot...and watch out for bigger than usual cambers in the road...I have seen van type vehicles lean over and hit the odd road sign, or get your awning caught in a tree.

Guest ALAN G
Our Autocruise Vista is only 16ft long. I have adjusted the reversing sensors so that they do sound only when the van is near an obstruction. But I still haven't a clue as to where the back of the van is, even though the Boxer mirrors are great. We now use walkie talkies for reversing and parking on sites. Argos do a fair range for about £25. While they are vital in getting through our garage doorway which is only 3 inches wider than the van I can recommend their use.

Guest ANDY HANNAH
DO NT WORRY ABOUT REVERSING JUST GET YOUR PARTNER TO STAND IN THE BACK AND GUILD YOU MY 15 YR OLD DAUGHTER DOES IT REALY WELL .bUT DO JOIN CAMPING CARAVAN CLUB LOTS OF BENIFITS CHEAPER FERRIES NICE SITES DISCOUNT IN SOME CAMPING SHOPS AND INSURANCE .DONT FORGET TO WAVE TO OTHER MOTORHOMES AND CAMPERS MOST ARE FRIENDLY

Guest Peter Lawton-Harris
Alternative uses for overcab bed???? Absolutely ideal for storing CHILDREN but make sure you accidently leave the ladder at the last camp site you visited

Archived