new to motor homes

Guest carol hodgson

Guest carol hodgson
Thank you for all the welcome replies. We picked up our motor home yesterday from Brownhills in Newark, Charles drove it home and I followed in my car. I had intended to 'have a go' that evening but it was late and we were tired after a long day at work. So this morning before work I tried and made a 'pige ear' of it and thought oh! I am never going to do this!!. Came home at lunch time and drove it round the block left turns only, then reversed it into our parking area, then round the block again, this time all right turns, got the revs right this time! so didn't stall it! and parked it up again. then this evening started putting all the necessities in - pots pans, cutlery etc. Tried the overcab bed, bit small - so I think it will be for storage only. But we will try it. Went out with it again, this time more adventurous, not just round the block but into nearly into town and then out and round the roads, didn't go any faster than 45mp but got it into 5th gear. And all this on my own, as Charles in in the TA and went off to camp for 2 weeks at 7am this morning, so feel a lot more confident. All being well I am going away with it early Saturday morning on my own to Rutland Water - DA meet, been there before, know where it is and should only take about 40 mins to get there. Ok another question, what tips for packing saucepans and things, could hear them all talking to one another as I drove around, wasn't too bad, but might get a bit of a nuisance on a long trip. Again many thanks for all the replies. Carol

Hi Carol, We got ours from Brownhills 8 years back on the 1st August. Still going strong and now much modified to our individual needs. After the "newness" has worn off then you think of all sorts of little "improvements" that can be done. From a blokes viewpoint this is part of the fun of owning a motorhome. (is this sexist?) Well done of the new driver "running in". We keep our pots and pans in the cupboard under the cooker. Rattles we have cured tend to be associated with the cooker so we fold the tea towel under the hob top cover so its forms a damping effect on the hob support framework and also the glass lid. The pots and pans down below are "nested" and some are quite heavy. We do not use any aluminium vessels whatsoever, copper bottomed stainless saucepans or cast iron for the frying pan. Pyrex jugs. (What weight problem?) The bottom of this cupboard is carpetted. Is yours? They soon shake down! Best idea we had for ages was to take a large stack of cardboard plates. They don,t rattle and don,t need washing up! We also have a couple of glased steel plates for "guests". No plastic anywhere! Enjoy Clive

Hi Carol congratulations on new motorhome and your determination to handle it yourself. You will find lots of little rattles when you have packed the van, things like pans can be wrapped in tea towels or pieces of old sheet etc. Ours are then packed in the oven which makes a spare cupboard, pieces of kitchen roll between crockery help as well. It may take a few trips but sure that you will get there.

Guest Rowan Lee
We were absolutely terrified of our first motorhome and wondered what on earth we had done. We had to psych ourselves up to go out in it and were nervous wrecks when we got to our destination. Our first long trip was to a driving school. There are courses run by both the big Camping Clubs, but they had finished for the season last year so we had an individual session (4 hours) at Drivecraft - see www.drivecraft.co.uk. Our tutor Andrew is a qualified instructor and was wonderful. It cost £100, but what we learned was priceless, and now we are much more relaxed, but very aware of the size, capability and limitations of our vehicle. Good luck.

We use the rubber mesh that is bought by the sheet or off a roll from any caravan/camping shop to stop all the rattles including lining ( i think that is what it is meant for!0 the cutlery drawer, or else bubble wrap that is good for wine bottles! regards Henry

Hi Carol congrats on getting the master of a bigger vehicle As far as pots & pans 'talking' to each other think that is a good term & request permission to use it myself We use some of that thin foam stuf that comes between plates etc sent by mail The grill pan is kept in the grill along with the oven gloves as extra packing The pans have their own cupboard they just fitt & dont talk cups & plates live in an upper cupboard - made a polystyrene shape but it didnt fit the replacements after the melamine ones broke now the poltsyrene has broken - new former required The oven is used to store bread & cakes good travelling

I forgot to say that I made a rack for conventional plates, each plate has its own pair of slots, upper and lower, so no plate touches another when they are all in place. The rack was made for 4, it now carries 2 enamel plates and a wad of cardboard ones! All the other advice is good and from experience. It quite amazing how much goes on inside a trailer caravan when its being towed by people who have no idea of the chaos inside until they stop! For instance Motorhomers go round corners gently, straighten up THEN accelerate (a bit)!

Hi Carol, Good on you with your driving, i have driven all our previous vans up to 21ft, but this Kontiki 655 we purchased last october from brownhills with you i am not so keen to, 1. The value is a lot more, that frightens me 2. No rear view through back window, which i prefered, we now have a bathroom inplace. 3. The length of 24ft. Previously i had driven the country with my daughter, (if the hubby was working) competing swimming. As for your pots and pans rattles, i use the rubber matting on a roll. I have it between the pots and pans, lined every locker, and use a large one on my main table, stops the melamine plates sliding when full of food. If you have a local "Pound STORE" or cheapy shops, its a lot cheaper than wilkinsons, b&q, other diy, its available in a lot of places now. even got it in my shower base. Good luck Ceri.

Archived