new to motorhomes

Guest carol hodgson

Guest carol hodgson
Again, many thanks for all the replies to my post. I had a great time, even though I was on my own. The journey down to Rutland Water was good, started off early on Saturday morning as planned, to avoid the heavy traffic, arrived safely 50 mins later and booked in - steward guided me onto the ramps as I wasn't level and then I got set up. Lined the cupboard under the oven, and that stopped pans 'talking to one another' with that rubber stuff on a roll, made a big difference on the way back. The only problem I had was that being vertically challenged I could not reach to open the roof vent over the kitchen area, had to resort to a tin of bean and a tin of tomatoes:) So the step will have to come with me when I go out on my own again, there is an integral step just under the door, so I thought I wouldn't need it! Left early again this morning, and made good time up the A1, even got up to 60mph. Ok - another couple of questions 1 - should I travel with the clean water tank full or empty, was full going down and empty coming back. Don't want it half and half do you? will it sloshing around cause handling problmes? 2 - Waste tank, how do you deal with emptying this when you are on a site that doesn't have facilties for dumping the water, I let it out when I got home, but it is such a small tap - it took ages to empty! is this normal? I suppose I could leave a bucket under it and empty in the hedge bottoms as is normal on a DA meet. Thanks again

Carol Regarding fresh water carrying, water is weight and, if it doesn't affect handling (which it might not), it can affect fuel consumption. Personally, I couldn't travel without all the motorhome facilities available to me and so I always have water in the tank. But, it's horses for courses. If you're going to a site where water is easily available then you really only need to carry enough for the journey and fill up on arrival. If you're going "wild", rallying or the like, and water may not be readily available or easy to access, then you need to travel prepared. As my rig weighs close on 7 tonnes gross I don't bother about skimping on the water when I travel. Dumping waste water - at home or in the hedge is okay, just don't dump it whilst travelling - it causes concern from other motorists. Regards Neal

I've never understood why motorhome manufacturers will insist on using built-in grey-water tanks. I much prefer the arangement our tugger friends have: a simple downpipe, and you slide a Wastemaster underneath it.

Guest Roy Hamilton
Not having a built in tank for waste would be a dxxx nuisance when you stop for a cup of tea and then wash up, and dumping your waste in the hedge well - hardly very good country code practice. Just wait until you reach a layby with a suitable gully and put it in there, or until you arrive at site or home or wherever you're going.

Guest carol hodgson
Roy - DA stands for District Association. We belong to the C&CC and live in the the East Midlands, (Grantham) and we belong to South Lincs DA. All the DAs organise meets usually close to home, but not always. It's minimal facilities, ie, usually a field with water and an elsan disposal site. A good time is had by all, you can join in with any organised events (if there are any)or not as the case maybe. I would not dream of going to a commercial site on my own, as I would not feel safe. But I can meet up with friends and like minded people at these DA meets and not feel uncomfortable(being a female on my own) while Charles is away. The sites are in some beautiful places, like this weekend at Rutland Water, the view could not have been bettered, and it only cost £5 per night per unit - regardless of how many adults and children. This meet was run by Notts DA, our lot were over in Norfolk, and I thought that would be too far for my maiden voyage:) If you are a member of the C&CC try one, you might like it:) regards Carol

Guest Brian Ramsden
Dumping waste water anywhere other than a proper place is an anti-social activity, and probably illegal. Fiama do a good greywater tank which you can roll under the drain tap and then trundle off to the drain provided. Most caravan shops can get them. Brian

I agree with Neal, Grey water is not antisocial if released thoughtfully. How many times have us males (or ladies) been taken short on a journey and nipped into the woods to release the pressure? Grey water is not evan as objectionable as this! Its the "Other" tank that needs carefull disposal in appropriate places. Be realistic but be thoughtfull is my viewpoint.

Hi I agree with Neal and Clive grey waste water is not a problem in fact we were on a site on the Isle of Wight that said to dispose of grey water in their hedgerows and I must say that the hedges did look very well on it indeed!! Pat

As the originator of this "grey water" sub-thread, may I point out that if you are using a Wastemaster and there is nowhere to empty it you can simply put the cap on and take it home, or to some approved place. But you avoid the hassle of having to start up the rig and manoevre it over a drain and, MUCH more important, you avoid all the maintenance hassles with built in tanks. Wastemasters are so cheap that in the unlikely event one gives you trouble you can just throw it away and buy another for less than the call-out fee a motor-home mechanic would charge to look at your fixed tank.

Bill All you say is true BUT, a wastemaster does not give the total freedom that a tank does. If, for whatever reason, you have to up sticks a bit on the lively side, and I mean lively, you've lost your means of holding waste water. Fine if you're a couple of miles from a caravan accessory shop but a little inconvenient if you're somewhere "exotic". Regards Neal

Guest Roy Hamilton
Or... if you have a built in tank you simply go home. No caps to put on, no tank to manouvre onboard, no wet mess to handle should it be raining. Give me the fixed tank anyday.

OK guys, I can see this is a case of “one man’s meat”. Neal I’m trying to work out why you might need to “up sticks a bit on the lively side”? Roy Tell you what, you pay my bills for my fixed tanks over the last 12 months, and in exchange I’ll gladly put on your caps, manouvre your tanks onboard, and handle your wet messes should it be raining.

I like our waste tank nearly as much as I like the fresh water one. No way do I want more clutter to carry around like that tank our friend keeps advertising! It sound like a tuggers viewpoint from a very posh politically correct CC site! Not the chairman is it? Over !!!!

Guest Mike C
Have I got this right then. Remove the 80 litre waste water tank and buy a 38 litre Wastemaster and make regular trips to the Waste Water point. While I am about it remove the 100 litre Fresh Water tank and buy 2 Aquarolls and make regular visits to the Drinking Water tap. While I am about it I could also remove the engine and front wheels and fit an A frame and buy a car to tow the whole outfit around. Isn't that a caravan which I ditched in favour of a motor caravan for the very reason of NOT having to tote water around with a back injury. It's bad enought having to carry the Thetford. Think I will take Geoff's advice and stay at home. Seriously why not just buy two lengths of hose and attachments for Waste and Fresh water and use these to fill and empty where a Service Point is not available. I have, a 20 metre Food Quality hose and canister from CAK for fresh water and a mix of Hozelock and garden hose for the waste water. Regards, Mike C.

Being of the 'baddie' brigade who frequently wild camp - moreso in Europe - a Wastemaster would definately be a waste of faffing about with for us. Love the huge on board tank we have, though it is rarely filled. I have even been guilty of emptying black into grey dumps. Before I get slaughtered, it was in total ignorance and misunderstanding. And I'm sure I won't be the first or the last. No I'm not looking to be condemed or condoned. I suppose I'm just owning up! We have been known to empty into a roadside drain. Especially when it's raining. And yes I too agree with Clive, we do dump worse, from our person - you've only to run a marathon and wonder at the gallons being passed enroute! Noone in their right mind (that're daft enough in the first place) is going to waste time queueing for the loos. However - horses for course. We will never ALL agree on these matters.

I am one of those who after many years of towing swapped for a motorhome.The biggest benefit for me is being able to drive onto a pitch conect the mains and sit down with a gin and tonic safe in the knowledge that whatever the weather or the geography of the site I will not have to fill an aquaroll(usually getting wet feet in the process) and drag it to the van, and then having used the water repeat the process in reverse. I love my tanks that I can fill and empty at my convenience (pun intended)using hassle free equipment. However one aspect worries me. I recently stayed on a C&CC site where the warden proudly showed me to their newly opened motorhome service point. Oh dear the grate was surrounded by a brick and concrete enclosure which had a height of approx 10 inches and sides approx 3 feet long. There was no way that I could get my drain pipe over the grate. I hope that this design is not the standard for the network.

Well Bill, it seems like you're on the wrong forum mate!! This is for motorhomers. But luckily we're a flexible lot and we can see all sides of a debate (but not necessarily agree!). "Upping sticks a bit on the lively side" may be as a result of some particularly unwelcome attention from "n'er-do-wells" in the middle of a night's wild camping. It can happen, both wild camping and disturbance, so it's as well to be in a position for the quick get-away. Regards Neal

Guest Roy Hamilton
I don't want to prolong this one anymore but I can't settle without wondering how much Bill spent on his tanks.

I know when I'm in a minority!! Though not a minority of one - may I refer you all to Andy Stothert's write-up of his new rig (a few months back in MMM) Roy Over the last 12 months they have cost me around £400 directly (and I don't think I'm quite out of the woods yet)plus about £1500 in knock-on effects - what your friendly insurance salesman would call "consequential losses"

Guest Derek Uzzell
Carol: To return to your original enquiry about small drain-taps... It has been commonplace with UK mass-produced motorcaravans to use difficult-to-operate small-bore taps and skinny drain-hoses on waste-water tanks. This is probably due to a transference of caravan practice to the motorhome sphere as it's obviously just as simple, and must only be marginally more expensive, to fit a wide-bore hose and tap instead. Slow drainage can be a confounded nuisance, particularly if you are in a queue at an emptying-point, and (because the slow flow rate fails to 'flush' the tank) it tends to allow decomposing food residues to remain within the tank to cause horrid pongs in the motorhome. Replacing the present tap and hose with wider bore versions would improve matters and it would also be sensible to check the drain-hose route (I've seen some where the waste-water is expected to run uphill.) If the design of your 'van's tank allows it, you might consider adding a 'slide' drain valve. These come in sizes up to 3 inches diameter and permit very rapid emptying. Suggest you contact Caravan Accessories (CAK) Ltd (advert in MMM) and request their catalogue/price-list, as they market a wide variety of taps and hoses (and much much more).

Following on from Derek's post, another possible problem (if your rig is as stupidly designed as my Auto-Trail) is that the shower, sink etc are a long way from the waste tank, with very little slope to make the grey-water flow.

Guest carol hodgson
thanks for the info re grey water emptying. In the short term I have bought a small bucket which I have put under the waste outlet and empty it at my leisure. And have just had another 'solo' trip this weekend with my friends from South Lincs DA. A great time was had by all, wonderful weather, nice uneventfull journey over the Lincolshire Wolds, all the ups and downs and bends (and boy were there ups and downs and some bends):o )and managed a treat. all my thanks Carol

Archived