north coast 500 etc

tonyg3nwl

Hi just been reading about the latest gimick.. North Coast 250, this time around north east corner of scotland, Aberdeen/Dundee etc .Having tried the 500 route (parts of it), last year, just wondering what the new "route" has to offer..have been around some parts in the past, a few years ago, so maybe worth a revisit.

Tonyg3nwl

Just had a look at the route and it comes within a mile or so of my front door. It's a route I know pretty well and it has a lot to offer. It seems unfortunate not to extend it down through Dundee which has been rejuvenated in recent years and has some fantastic museums (but not impressed by the V&A).

I have mixed feelings as the NE has some fantastic beaches, golf courses and distilleries (not to mention a number of National Trust properties). It's also relatively quiet and we joke that our nearest beach is crowded if there's more than a dozen people on it. There are quite a few good camp sites, although few C&CC or CAMC ones. It's also drier than the West and virtually no midgies.

To be selfish, while it would benefit from a lot more tourism, we like to keep it for ourselves :-D but if you do want to come up this way, you'll be made welcome. If you would like any info on specifics, I'll try to answer them.

Nice coast and countryside. Lots of wildcamping spots too, just get Campercontact for instance to check them out.

Nice spot at Cruden Bay harbour (Port Errol)

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=22137

It says there are no services but when we were there last year, there was a public toilet - no cassette emptying!! - and a fresh water tap. £10 voluntary contribution/night

And the wee caravan park at Findocty (pronounced Finechty). Don't be put off by the statics in the link. There are great pitches right at the waterside, and good walks to Buckie etc, and a pub at the gate!

https://www.findochtycaravanpark.co.uk/

And Grumblewagon's home town Turriff. Pitches can be boggy unless they've made more hardstandings - there are dedicated ones for m/h but these are noisy with traffic on the brae adjacent

https://www.turriffcaravanpark.com/

(Aberdeen now has a bypass opened fully in the last couple of weeks, so a big difference in getting through)

£10 to park up on the pier at Port Errol ! Robbery, it used to be £5!! Cruden bay has a great beach and nearby is the remains of Slains castle. Bram Stoker was a guest there in its heyday and (allegedly) wrote Dracula while staying in the village.

Turriff is not the prettiest town, but there are good campsites at Banff links and to the east just off the A98.

I've seen some great displays by dolphins from Findochty and Cullen. Ironically, I've seen very few dolphins at the Dolphin centre at Spey Bay. Garmouth, across the Spey from Spey bay, has a great pub / cafe.

Yes, the area has a LOT to offer. Not as wild and rugged as the west, but fantastic in its own way.

Archived