northern lights

Guest graham

Graham We camped there some years ago around September time. My everlasting memory is that it never actually got dark! Not properly dark. Whether this was the actual Northern Lights or not I don't know. Regards Neal

Guest PeteC
Northern Lights can be seen as far south as Cumbria and Cleveland No its not just that it doesnt go dark It is pattterns in the sky - Someting to do with the sun shining across the bit of earth & the patterns are to do with the hills & stuff At one time long long ago people in Keswick thought that it was the ghosts of an army of roman soldiers marching over Saddleback (Blencathra) on mid summers day night

Guest PeteC
Northern Lights can be seen as far south as Cumbria and Cleveland No its not just that it doesnt go dark It is pattterns in the sky - Someting to do with the sun shining across the bit of earth & the patterns are to do with the hills & stuff At one time long long ago people in Keswick thought that it was the ghosts of an army of roman soldiers marching over Saddleback (Blencathra) on mid summers day night

Guest Roy Hamilton
I can confirm that Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis to be technical, can be seen at least as far south as the midlands, because I saw a fantastic display about 17 years ago. They are irregular and are caused by certain conditions to with magnetic fields between the earth and the sun, so you can't say look out at a certain time of the year and you will see them. You will be lucky to see them if you do. It doesn't go quite dark in the summer time in Scotland because if you went even further north into the Arctic circle the sun does not set at all. Obversly in the winter it does not get light at all

Guest David Powell
To add to what Roy says, the best time is when the sun is in the southern hemisphere, and you are way out in the country away from all light pollution, and of course the further north the better. As the aurora borealis is caused by geomagnetic forces we ('we' being the average motor homer)don't know when it will occur, but your average friendly Met.Office will have a good idea when. If you are really interested there is a Northern Lights Club or association or similar that will keep you informed when it will be active. I expect there is some info on GOOGLE if you have time to search...most things are on there somewhere. Once seen, never forgotten, but not as impressive as some people make out. I suppose it is like beauty...all in the eye of the beholder...but I am not easily impressed...some people call me dull!

Guest MockJock
I see the Northern Lights regularly, certainly every year. There was a super show in Novbember 2003 and again in November last year. And a reasonable display this February. But I live almost as far north as it is possible to go without dropping off the edge! Seen Northern Lights from Durness and from Brora, both in Sutherland. And last year (May) I witnessed an eclipse of the sun at Cape Wrath, at 0410 a.m.!!!

Guest Jules
Madjock, We want your house! We too like the far north without falling in. I read in astronomy magazine that the lights are on an 11 year cycle and the next best time to see them would be 2011-2013!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to say they were wrong eh? Jules

Guest MockJock
Theorists? Who'd 'ave 'em? I shall be at Cape Wrath all summer. If you get that far, make yourself known. Regards &c

Archived