off the road but paying full insurance/

fesspark

Has this subject been talked about on this forum?but to pay 3 or 4 months insurance plus the winter lay up I haven,t heard if the companies that insure us are extending the 12 months or giving us a discount?I realize the vehicles are still covered when garaged or safely parked up but the high cost of M,home insurance surely warrants some reduction in cost somewhere? fesspark

You have the option of SORN for road tax, then as long as it's not on public road, insurance is down to you. Don't see why the ins co's should provide cover free. What's your logic there?

Insurance is what £1-1.50 a day. Hardly expensive is it?

ColinM50 - 2020-06-26 4:03 PM

You have the option of SORN for road tax, then as long as it's not on public road, insurance is down to you. Don't see why the ins co's should provide cover free. What's your logic there?

Insurance is what £1-1.50 a day. Hardly expensive is it?

insurance is based on risk, so I guess the logic is that, if a vehicle has been SORNed for many months, the risk will have reduced substantially. Similar to premium reduction for Limited Mileage.

crocs - 2020-06-26 4:41 PM

Similar to premium reduction for Limited Mileage.

Once, when I was renewing my wife's car insurance, I enquired about the reduction in premium if I reduced the mileage. The premium went up. I was told that was because low mileage drivers have more accidents.

Our car insurer (Direct Line) offered us a rebate at the start of lockdown if we declared an expected lower mileage. Why not contact your insurer and ask if they will do anything; even check first if anyone offers laid-up insurance you can use as leverage to negotiate with your present company.

I'm lucky, as we live in an area with lowest crime rates in England and Wales, so just cancelled my insurance when it was up for renewal at about the start of lockdown, and did all I could come up with to make it difficult to steal. It's parked on our drive, steering wheel lock on, driver's seat turned round and padlocked, relay switch for starter motor removed.

Muswell - 2020-06-26 6:11 PM

crocs - 2020-06-26 4:41 PM

Similar to premium reduction for Limited Mileage.

Once, when I was renewing my wife's car insurance, I enquired about the reduction in premium if I reduced the mileage. The premium went up. I was told that was because low mileage drivers have more accidents.

Yes, I’ve heard of that wrinkle although it normally only applies to principle car/vehicle, not secondary vehicles like motorhomes or classic cars.

stvekay - 2020-06-27 8:01 AM

Don't know how much I would get it reduced by? I did sorn for a couple of months.

Excited to Tax it July and get some use.

My insurance charges me to amend my policy so the price of 2 amendments could be more than any discount

If I only paid £215.00 a yr; I wouldn,t mind but I pay £355 a yr; and in 64 years have having motor insurance the only claim i

ever had was for a broken electric mirror that a white nonstop van knocked off on a narrow Devon road. Admittedly my

m,home is only 2 yrs; old.But it adds up in time to a lot of extra pence,when unable to use it. fesspark

Archived