oil change 2017 euro6 fiat

pagey

hi i have just done an oil and filter change on my van its the first oil change ie 20,000 miles or 2 years the van has done 11,000 miles now.... the question i cant reset service counter so will i get any lights coming on in the dash and what are the problems. will it go into limp mode? or anything else thanks

Most local garages, especially the independents will reset it for you but take your empty oil cans and old filter with you to prove you've done ti. They MIGHT, MIGHT, stamp your book if you ask nicely.

BTW, I had my oil changed last year at 8,500 miles,cost over £300 just for an oil change but it's a long and boring story, and didn't have the counter reset. Now at 20,000 and no issues or lights on so far but due another change soon. I'm a great believer in changing oil earlier than scheduled, comes from years of boat ownership where we change it every year irrespective of hours/miles. Although expensive to change the oil, it's a good way to protect our investment.

This recent forum thread discussed resetting oil-change/service settings. The advice on clearing the dashboard warning lights related to Peugeot Boxers, but might also be applicable to Ducatos.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Oil-Change-or-not-/48689/31/

Logically, unless the oil-change/service settings are reset, sooner or later a warning will be displayed. If that warning is categorised as “ENGINE OIL DETERIORATED” (even though the oil has been regularly changed) my Ducato Owner Handbook warns that the motor’s rpm will be restricted.

The issue was also discussed here

https://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/450430-x290-service-mileage-displays.html

As Derek says, you need to get both the service indicator and the oil degredation counter reset. If you have, or know someone with access to MultiEcuScan, FiCOM or similar diagnostic software, it is fairly straightforward. Otherwise I suspect it is a trip to a Fiat dealer, who will no doubt want £60-£100 just to plug in their software.

There may be some independent garages that have access to diagnostic equipment that will reset both counters, but typically independent software tends to lag a little behind with new functions, as the general assumption is that vehicles up to 2-3 years old will be serviced at main dealers.

The degradation counter is iust a software calculation; it doesn't physically test the oil in your sump, so it relies on knowing when the oil was changed by programming the engine ECU accordingly. Again, as Derek says, based on calculations extrapolated from the last oil change it knows about, the risk is that it will at some future date assume that your oil is no longer protecting the engine, and activate a warning message on the instrument display. If that is ignored, it will progressively put the vehicle into limp mode with restricted rpm.

I use MultiEcuScan as I do my own servicing. I also have access to an aftermarket multi brand diagnostic tool, but that has not as yet been updated to include the oil degradation counter reset function required on Euro 5+ and Euro 6 vans.

hi thanks for replying the van is 2 years old and done 11k i have downloaded MultiEcuScan the free version but dont know what lead i need or how to use it ..i have had a look using the mode button and it says oil 17091 miles and service 18740 mls so hopefully this is counting down to zero

You can usually manually reset the service lights

Look on the net as there may be a simple answer

here is something I found online for a 2017 Ducato

Reset Oil Service Light on Fiat Ducato:

Turn the ignition key to position “ON” without starting the engine.

Set the odometer to read total miles.

Press Odometer button until CFG1 appears on the display.

Release the odometer button.

Hit the odometer button to change different mile intervals.

More items...•4 May 2016

Kennyd

The procedure you mention was referred to here last month

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/2011-Fiat-Ducato-resetting-oil-service-light-/48741/

All I can say is - if that procedure does apply to 2006-onwards Ducatos - it is very poorly described.

There are a few YouTube videos (example here)

that relate to resetting service/oi-changel settings for later-model Fiat Ducatos using the vehicle’s MODE buttons and/or a combination of pressing the brake and accelerator pedals.

A similar procedure is said to apply to the Iveco Daily and the advice given for resetting is

Turn ignition on without starting motor.

Wait 10 seconds.

Depress accelerator-pedal fully.

Wait 10 seconds.

Keeping accelerator-pedal fully depressed, press brake-pedal 10 times.

Remove feet from brake and accelerator pedals.

Turn off ignition.

Wait 10 seconds and then start motor.

Kennyd - 2019-03-19 8:12 PM

You can usually manually reset the service lights

Look on the net as there may be a simple answer

here is something I found online for a 2017 Ducato

Reset Oil Service Light on Fiat Ducato:

Turn the ignition key to position “ON” without starting the engine.

Set the odometer to read total miles.

Press Odometer button until CFG1 appears on the display.

Release the odometer button.

Hit the odometer button to change different mile intervals.

More items...•4 May 2016

The above procedure definitely relates to pre-X250 Ducatos (Ie. Ducatos built prior to mid-2006).

Information about the “CFG’ readouts (and how to change them) can be found on Pages 33 to 35 of this 2005 Ducato Owner Handbook.

https://tinyurl.com/yajcah9k

As Deneb has advised above, to reset the service or oil-change settings of recent Ducatos a software ’tool’ will be required.

pagey - 2019-03-19 4:06 PM

hi thanks for replying the van is 2 years old and done 11k i have downloaded MultiEcuScan the free version but dont know what lead i need or how to use it

If you need help with ECUscan these people will supply the correct lead for your van and sell you the full package they are very knowledgeable about what they sell and helpful withafter sales advice as well https://www.gendan.co.uk/mes_chooser.php#selection

...the free version will not reset the Service Interval(s); you need a licenced copy for that.

The "full coverage" requirement for the X290 is licenced MultiECUscan, a recognised ELM327 adapter, and an addiitional "Adapter 3" (and of course a Windows laptop to run it on).

A very useful piece of kit for all diagnosis on the Ducato, and pretty easy to reset both the service interval and the oil service interval (in addition to lots of other diagnosis and settings)

Mine came from Gendan and the bits detailed above are currently £97.94..

Archived