open door retainers and interior intercom

Guest brian

Does anybody know where I can buy the fitment to keep the door open and the garage door held up.The origional retainers are useless on my Laika.At the moment I use velcro.Secondly does anyone know of an internal intercom something like a baby alarm that doesn't require buttons to be pressed so as to hold a conversation when necessary with rear passengers.Words are drowned out with road noise when the they are sat 7 or 8 feet behind.(hard of hearing)

Guest Derek Uzzell
It depends which retainer you have in mind as there are several types. "Caravan Accessories (CAK Tanks Ltd)" (advert in MMM each month) offer 2 different sorts, both of which have one part on the door/flap and the other on the bodywork. Probably the most positive type is a sort of hinged thing that's screwed to the bodywork then hooks on to the door. Not sure where to get them in the UK though, but they are advertised in French accessory catalogues and I've got them on my 'van's lift-up service-doors.

Guest David Powell
Hello Brian...I think Derek may be refering to the brass Hook & Eye type which are fool proof. They are known as 'Silent hooks' because the hook is tappered as is the eye that it hooks into so does not rattle in the wind. Readily available at boats chandlers, and for those who live inland, canal marinas.

Brian (& David) I think Derek is refering to "baggage door retainers" which just fit to the sidewall. They work on top-hinged locker doors and are hinged out against a retaining spring and hold the door vertically 180 degrees from the closed position. They are available in the UK from any US RV parts and accessories dealer and come in white, ivory or chrome. Try Steve Dunn at Mobile RV 01993 851828. Regards Neal

I'm going to suggest that Brian's Laika has the same fitting as ours - a 'ball & socket' plastic catch. They fail when they get too hot. Had ours replaced and this summer they have failed again! Resorted to a string loop from the ladder onto our alarm sensor for the drop down door.

Intercom - you could try a pair of radios with VOX (voice activation), these work from the sound of you speaking so you don't have to keep pressing buttons. You would have to get used to only speaking one at a time though as whoever spoke first's radio would be the one to work! They'd also come in handy when trying to park etc as your co-driver could hop out and give directions without arm waggling and shouting. Have a look on eBay or at Maplin's website as they can be very cheap on there but get a reasonable fairly good set otherwise the quality of the sound can be a pain.

Guest Derek Uzzell
It was Neal's "baggage door retainers" I was thinking off, but I'm not sure they would be any good on entrance doors. Our Herald had a hefty metal spring-loaded 'peg' on the door that entered into an equally massive female 'socket' fixed to a plastic block on the bodywork. To release it you twisted a knob. It was very secure though not particularly sightly.

Derek You're absolutely right, they are not designed for entry doors and are highly unlikely to work on such. However, the same US RV parts stockist will have a selection of entry door retainers to tempt anyone with. Regards Neal

For the intercom, try talking to your local motorbike shop (bikers often use them to communicate with pillion passengers, or even with other bikers when they go on a rally).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all who replied about door retainers and intercom.I fitted 2 nylon ones which hold the door and garage very firmly and will be simple to replace when they get weak.I went to Maplins and bought a pair of intercoms for the enormouse sum of £12.99 and they are very good, the wife has the master one in the rear because she does have to hold the button whilst speaking.Mine Ive fixed to a little backplate which is hooked over the left hand side of the sun visor out of line with my head just in case,I dont have to touch anything, just speak.They do have about 30 yds of cable but just cut the required lenth and join up with a connector of some sorts.No more sore throats (just ears).

Archived