over 70 renewal C1 licence return timings

chris

I am posting our D4 and D2 forms tomorrow to the DVLA for over 70 renewal. There are no medical changes since the last application 3 years ago. If it runs smoothly (big IF) can anyone tell me how long it has taken them from posting to receiving your licence back please? . I live in hope

Chris

NB I want to retain grandfathers rights so it's not an online renewal.

According to this Gov UK link DVLA are, as at 7/2/2022, processing the "Renewal of a driving licence if you’re 70 or over or after disqualification or revocation from 18 November 2021.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-coronavirus-covid-19-update

If an application was submitted prior to the beginning of November and nothing has been heard I suggest contacting them, especially if there were medical conditions that would complicate the application.

This forum thread (begun in late-December 2021) may be worth reading

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/DVLA-renewing-a-license-/59370/

In my posting of 23 December 2021 7:54 AM I mentioned that my wife's driving licence renewal, due on 17 December 2021 and applied for by post in October 2021, was still pending. The medical examinations referred to in my posting have now taken place showing no further deterioration of her eyesight. She has sent a letter advising the DVLA's Medical Group of this in the hope that it may expedite the renewal of her licence, but I can't say I'm optimistic.

I doubt that there's any a predictable delay-period for an 'over 70' licence renewal. All postal applications are subject to delay and if the application involves a follow-up with the applicant's doctor, the DVLA has warned that making such referrals has been suspended.

Oh dear it looks like my husband is in for a long wait. We plan to start travelling abroad again in June. At least I have my licence and can drive abroad so its down to me then. I will have to teach my husband how to navigate now. I will keep you all updated. Thanks for your detailed responses. Chris

Last time we applied 3 years ago it came back quickly but I had put a letter in to ask if they could date it from the old expiry date and they did it but the time before that they ignored it so it depends on the person doing the application I suppose. My son in law just had his licence back after losing his age 50. He applied months before Xmas. I have triple checked the form. Included a new signed photo too just in case. Filled in a medical questionnaire VOCH1 too whether it's required or not. It's all down to them now. No change in medical conditions and good blood pressure. Fingers crossed.

Oh jeepers. Can't win if it comes early and lose 2 months but sending it early just in case it takes several months and it comes back too late for a trip ? Oh well it was posted today recorded and signed for delivery to make sure. I will keep you updated

Hi.

I sent my application forms, including my medical D4, for the renewal of my C1 licence on the 5th of December 2021. So far nothing back from the DVLA.

My licence actually ran out on the 17th of December, but as I have no medical issues, I am still perfectly legal to drive. Obviously I would not be able to drive abroad with out my licence card though.

Regards

Stuart

Re. Stuart’s (Grumpy Grandad) post earlier. I think we are talking about 2 different types of application now on this thread. Those applying at 70 who just want to stick with 3500kg limit and those that want to retain C1. Following the link to the DVLA page that Derek U posted in the “DVLA renewing a licence” thread on the 23/12/21 I reckon they will start to process Stuart’s application around about the 1st of March. This is effectively a manual / paper exercise as C1 at 70 plus involves the D4 whereas forgoing C1 at 70 does not involve any manual intervention at the DVLA; hence a rapid turnaround. Stuart is quite right in saying that he can continue to drive in the UK whilst his application is pending, however, I wonder if his new licence will start from the day the last one expired (17/12/21) or when the new one is issued?? I must admit I have a vested interest in these proceedings - my 1st renewal of C1 at 70 is due in July. I’m sure everything will be back on an even keel by then won’t it??!!!????

ps Would you mind posting when it actually arrives please?

I've amended the title of this thread to indicate that it applies primarily to renewal of the C1 driving-licence entitlement.

There's no particular reason to anticipate a long delay when the licence-holder is able to renew online - the problem comes with postal applications (eg. for a C1 licence renewal) where paper forms need to be examined/processed by DVLA staff. And, when an 'of concern' medical condition has been mentioned on the forms and the application is referred to the DVLA's Drivers Medical Group for a decision, the DVLA's COVID-19 policy has caused very long delays. In my wife's case, she is just seeking to renew an ordinary B entitlement, but she can't do that online as she has more than one vision-related medical conditions.

This link may be of interest

https://www.petebarden.co.uk/news/articles/photocard-driving-licence-seven-month-extension.html

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE. DVLA have just cashed my cheque for payment on the new photo of our licence on the 10th March. I sent it signed for delivery and they received it on the 15th February. The website currently shows they are processing applications received on the 10th January at present. 24 days so far. Chris

Hi.

Still no sign of my licence yet.

When you try ringing the DVLA all you get is a recorded message saying that due to Covid, and ongoing Industrial Action, they are not able to respond to phone calls.

I eventually found a way to send an e-mail to them on Tuesday 8th March enquiring about my licence renewal.

I immediately got an automated reply, and I quote:

This is a system generated acknowledgement--Do not reply to this e-mail.

Thankyou for your enquiry.

We will make every effort to respond within 3 working days, but due to limited resources it may take us longer than usual.

Thank you for your understanding.

Please note: If you do not appear to have received a reply within 3 working days, it would be advisable to check any Junk mail or Spam which may be installed on your system, prior to any further contact, as our reply may have been blocked in error.

So far, no reply.

I live in hope. Stuart

Archived