parking etiquette

gp1

Charles - 2018-08-07 4:18 PM

You get a better view facing the sea (glass 180°) we sit in the front seats with binoculars. Maybe our van is odd :$

Ah - but if you have a panel van with a nice big sliding door you get up to 180 degrees without the glass in the way .

;-)

I always park with my rear large lounge window facing the best view (if allowed) also that's the best position for my solar panel ( which is mounted on the slope of my roof) if facing decent sunlight). If the leisure needs topping up then the panel takes priority. Don't like to park looking at a hedge :-D

Yes every situation different i did regret doing what i always do in this situation cos it was blocking the view but i just did what i normally do - park longways. The people behind me across the way had a yappy dog which set itself off when i pulled up so i thought ths van might act as a sound muffler. But they had two pitches anyway and spent the time around a picnic table with their friends so it was ok for them. Anyway i will do it differently in future. Cheers.

I don’t really understand the op’s answer to his own question!

So I would advise as follows;

On a “Club” site, follow the rules, life’s complicated enough without going freestyle.

On an Aire or similar open access site, I assume that everyone considers their escape route! As a first priority.

On a commercial site where the owners have abandoned rules, like pitch boundaries and allocation of pitches; make your own mind up according to the view and what everyone else is doing. But be prepared to move when someone parks:: In front of you or too close for comfort. Happened to us surprisingly often in Norway.

We have a panelvan with swivel front seats, and a slider that has no fixed fittings obstructing the view, so we often dangle our legs out of the door, if the view is worthwhile.

Regards, Snowie

Having a van with no windows I like to park where I can open the side door and look out at something interesting. :-D

Most people just walk past but some people look in (lol)

About 99% of the comments are positive - the most positive comments from young people who always say something like Wow! or Cool! - what a Great Idea!. :-D

But occasionally - and only ever from old people - I get some muttering about 'not a bloody campsite :D

One in Gorran Haven .., looked like a retired colonel .. looked in and simply said 'Good God' 8-) ...and walked off muttering (lol) :

Yes often the beauty spots and seaside towns are overrun by retired colonels. Thats funny. Facing side on lets us see the view when we are washing up or stood in the doorway and we cant be seen by anyone else. Which to be honest is quite nice. I am a very back to the wall person and sites are often very sociable places and have often people will come with friends and have more than one pitch. As we are a small family who dont drink its a bit of extra security to have something solid behind you. Next time i will be more considerate to others and i think as happened yesterday when a van pulls up close he got out and asked if that was ok. So from others good manners it rubs off on you.

John52 - 2018-08-07 10:58 PM

...One in Gorran Haven .., looked like a retired colonel .. looked in and simply said 'Good God' 8-) ...and walked off muttering (lol) :

Perhaps the picture used as your avatar is what the the ‘retired colonel’ saw when he looked in your van...

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-08 8:06 AM

...One in Gorran Haven .., looked like a retired colonel .. looked in and simply said 'Good God' 8-) ...and walked off muttering (lol) :

Perhaps the picture used as your avatar is what the the ‘retired colonel’ saw when he looked in your van...

:D :D

Derek Uzzell - 2018-08-08 8:06 AM

No because I didn't have my socks on.

I'd hung them out to dry, and they had dried out too stiff Ito get them back on ;-)

Just realised how much washing up there is when you cook your own food. there was literally food everywhere. Guess im good enough of a nieghbour to realise it has to be dealt with straight away.

gp1 - 2018-08-08 10:02 PM

Just realised how much washing up there is when you cook your own food.

You're going the wrong way about it.

Just ger a pressure coker and you can cook it all in one pan :-D

Meat, veg.. stock cube, boil 6 mins, stir in gravy granules and you've got a full dinner in 10 minutes - and only one pan to wash :-D

Unless they have a Continental conversion with the sliding door on the 'wrong' side, in which case both will be looking into each others vans. Annoys my wife no end. We camp mainly in the UK .

Had one with a VW Californian in the Hebrides, UK plates but still a Continental door, my wife hated us sitting outside eating eating our meal, to be suddenly joined by our newly arrived next door neighbors setting up their table almost next to ours. Privacy.....even on the Hebrides...forget it....yes We moved, me grudgingly.

Why ? Do people DO that, when there is loads of open space and views a plenty. Answers on a postcard to a place far...far away.

Archived