peugeot boxer 2.5 deisel no turbo oil in air filter

Guest derek

Guest derek
hi everyone just wondered if any one else has had the same problem ive noticed that just under the air filter that there has been oil leeking out not a lot but i thought i would tell guy at the mot center he said that he thinks the oil was coming from the air filter if any one has had the same problem i would pleased to here from you cheers del

Guest Clive
Not specifically your motor but I have played with a few turbo diesels and all produce a film of oil on the inside of the air tubing between the turbo and intercooler. It could come from several places including the turbo oil seal. However unless its prolific I would not get worried. I found this because the rubber turbo tubing slowly perishes and goes soft and needs replacing once every few years. In my case it it was on a Land Rover and got so perished the jubulee clips could not hold it on at maximum boost!. Irrespective how tight the clips were it would squeze out from under the clips when hot and working hard. Replaced the tubing and all was well (and has been so for another 6 years).

Guest Derek Uzzell
Presumably "diesel no turbo" means exactly that - that your motorhome has a non-turbocharged diesel engine. I'm no expert on Peugeot motors, but it's normal for breathers to be fitted to engines to reduce excess crankcase pressure. Breathers will usually be connected to the air intake system downstream of the air-filter (as the oil-mist being produced by the motor would otherwise contaminate the filter element), so it's possible that this is the cause of your minor oil leak. How old is your vehicle and what mileage? High mileage (or worn) motors will tend to force more oil-laden air through the breather, hence more oil being deposited on the inner walls of intake ducting to subsequently drip out. Does this theory sound plausible? If your 'van's motor is running well (and if the MOT test was passed we may assume its emissions are within the prescribed limits) I don't think I'd be unduly worried. If it's easy to do, I suggest you remove the air-filter element and inspect the area beneath. If just a small amount of oily residue is present, then clean it out and see if the leaking stops: if there's lots of oil in there, I suggest you get your garage to take a look.

Guest Paul W
Hello Derek We have the same base vehicle, however I have had a TB Turbo conversion done, and it is fairly normal from what I can understand. I regularly, every 3000 to 5000 miles, remove the filter housing and wash out the oil that collects. If you have not done it, or had it done on previous services, the first time you will find a considerable amount of oil so be careful or you will drip (nay pour) it everywhere as I did. You are well advised to clean the crankcase breather pipes and more importantly clean or change the crankcase breather flametrap, as this blocks with carbon and restricts the removal of the excess crankcase pressure, which I understand actually makes the oil collection worse as the slower speed of removal alows the vapourised oil to return to its origional state inside the filter housingto. Once you have cleaned everything, and perhaps renewed the air filter element, put it all back together and you will find the next time you look, hopefully there is hardly any there. All engines produce oil in the crankase vapour but due to the way that the Peugeot filter and intake is designed with the breather entering from above there seems to be an inbuilt trap that allows this build up if not regularly cleaned that then 'looks' quite worrying but it is normal. If you are not loosing lots of oil just regularly clean and don't worry about it, ours has done over 65000miles now and still runs extremely well with very little oil used between changes. Definate case of it looks worse than it is!! Good Luck Paul W

Guest derek parry
hi clive and derek thanks you both for your help its a 1999 model just a straight diesel no turbo sorry i told the bloke at the garage about the oil and he said that he cleaned out the breathers it also had a full service and that we will see if it does it again as you can see im not very good at engines and wonded if it was something major thanks again for your kind help derek

Guest Paul W
Derek Looks like our posts crossed. I would say check your breather system yourself. As it happens my next door neighbours Volvo was spewing oil everywhere, all over the engine and onto the floor. He was told it needed a new headgasket and that all the breathers were clear, however when we looked at it they had cleared the pipes but had not cleared the flametrap that although it was passing some vapour it was causing a back pressure to build up and was forcing oil out of the filler cap. The thing was there was so much oil that you could not see where it was coming from until you cleaned the engine down. Remember the mechanic who diagnosed the head gasket said that the breathers were clear. This is just one of a long line of problems and untruths that I have heard from so called mechanics that makes me pleased that I do most things myself, I feel very sorry for people that do not know to much themselves because I believe they get badly ripped off a lot of the time.

Archived