pilote 740c vs Rapido 696f premier

aj8one

The only contribution I can muster is that we have had a Pilote 716P Reference for around six years and very little has gone wrong or needed maintenance and with no problem concerning damp or water ingress.

New cam belt and water pump at five years are the only major items needing replacing.

I have never owned or driven a Rapido.

Bought a P740C last September.

I went for the 4.4t upgrade, 150hp engine and auto gearbox.

Also the lifting bed to give room in the garage for a 125cc bike when i get it.

Have done 6000 miles on various UK and European trips.

No major problems few minor ones which Hayes sorted, ie toilet door lock not working and shower door small crack, nothing major.

It is perfect for us, have mainly used it for two and a few trips with my daughter in the converted bed.

I looked around before buying and felt it was ideal for us and still more than happy with our decision.

If you want any other info ask me.

We have a 2017 Pilote 740c

We also went to 4.4t and 150 with auto box.

Glad we specified electric headboard as without it access round the bed would be tight.

Like the 'proper' doors that make shower/toilet into one - in fact that is really what sold it to us.

Unfortunately haven't used it hardly at all but it appears well made and does everything it is designed to do well.

I will send you a PM with phone number if you want to give me a call.

Andy

aj8one - 2019-04-15 1:36 PM

Recommendation or comments please.

Off to Peterborough to have a look at these 2 models which we have now narrowed down to our favourites list with island bed.

preferences or snags etc

A & J

If you do decide on the Rapido 696F, you should (as the two Pilote owners did) definitely opt for the 4400kg chassis version that (I believe) includes the 150hp powerplant.

We have a Pilote 741G sensation with upgraded heavy chassis, 150hp and autobox. It sits on the Alko chassis with storage all around. Island bed which goes up and down to give easier access to garage.

We have a scooter rack fitted which with the scooter puts us overweight (an on going story we a currently trying to solve!) So double check what payload you are getting ! It seems to be a heavy vehicle before you start, without the upgrade I seem to remember a payload of only about 400kg

For the 2019 model-year, for a ‘basic’ 696F Premium Edition Rapido quotes an "unladen weight in running order” of 3060kg. The latter figure includes allowances of 75kg for a driver, the weight of a single gas bottle (presumably a French 13kg metal canister), 20 litres of fresh water and a 90% full fuel tank. There’s the usual +/- 5% ‘fudge factor’ that has the potential to add 153kg to the 3060kg value. The Rapido brochure states that opting for the 150hp motor instead of the standard 130hp powerplant would add 20kg to the unladen weight, and opting for the ComfortMatic transmission would add 15kg.

The 696F is built as standard on a Fiat Ducato ‘camping-car light’ chassis (not an AL-KO chassis) with either a 3500kg or 3650kg maximum overall weight, but start adding heavy accessories (eg. awning, tow-bar) and carrying passengers, luggage and a well-filled fresh-water tank will challenge the available payload and rear-axle weight maximum. I don’t know what the extra cost is to choose the 4400kg ‘heavy’ chassis (which apparently would increase the unladen weight to 3100kg) but it would be a wise decision to do this.

Archived