power from vehicle battery

swifty

I have a SunLiving S70SC (built by Adria and based on the Coral) and today when I started the engine the fridge did not automatically change to 12v from vehicle battery so I drove home with the fridge turned off. Later I noticed that the control panel did not show the state of the vehicle battery only the leisure battery. So have I got a blown fuse between the vehicle battery and leisure side of the motorhome. If so does anyone know where it is?

I take it your base vehicle is a Fiat? If so go to the Cab battery and locate the positive side. There should be a busbar with three bar fuses leading from it. Put a multi meter (set on 20v DC) on the negative pole and the habitation side of the fuses. Check all three and that should identify if the fuse has blown. It is probably a 50amp you are looking for.

I think that what Skipper43 is refering to is the battery fusebox (see below). On my 2006 x244 Ducato, fuse F73 is designated as "Converter's fuse". It seems that Fiat have sensibly not changed these fuse designations. Sadly this facility is not always taken up by the converter, who quite frequently install a separate 50A fuse, which should be close to the battery.

If carrying out any work close to the battery, including changing fuses, standard procedure is to disconnect the battery negative first.

I have not previously encountered the term "bar fuse". The correct type name for fuses F71, F72, and F73 is "Midi Fuse". You are unlikely to find them in your local accessory shop, but they are available on Ebay, if you need one. A 50A Midi fuse will be coloured red, but the original fitment on my vehicle for F73 was 70A coloured brown.

Alan

Battery Fusebox.odt

I believe a SunLiving S70SC motorhome will be built on a Fiat Ducato X290 base and no earlier than 2017.

If that’s correct, then the starter (cab) battery will be housed in a floor-compartment on the cab’s left side and the ‘busbar’ Skipper43 refers to will be the thing attached to the top of the battery’s positive terminal as shown in the left half of the attached image.

1869927537_X290starterbattery.jpg.cc3023eb2b65a5a5457415e397d409eb.jpg

I don't know whether this is bad news or good but I have just carried out Skippers test and all 3 fuses read 13.80v. So at least I don't have to look on ebay for a fuse but I still have not solved the problem. I cannot see any inline fuses anywhere near the battery. I would ring the place where it was serviced for advice but being Bank Holiday there is no reply .The motorhome is 2018 model.

...as has been stated above, it is pretty common (particularly with Schaudt electrics, which you probably have) to separately fuse connections to the starter battery, rather than use any of Fiat's provision.

Practice varies by converter, but you should look for a high-value fuse (40/50A) in a separate, in-line fuse holder (this may be accompanied by a 20A and/or 2A fuse in a multi-way holder).

I have seen these mounted next to the Electroblock, under one or other of the front seats, or close to the vehicle battery under the floor (googling indicates Adria have used this location on some vehicles, but I would have thought you would have spotted it/them).

Be aware, there may be a similar arrangement providing a main fuse for the leisure battery.

The attached picture is from a manual for another converter, but gives a rough idea of what to look for:

Bigfuse.JPG.5e319d7eb300127a736f6965002dcca8.JPG

Thanks everybody for your help. I eventually found a block of fuses under the electroblock under the dinette seat and there was a 20amp fuse obviously burnt out so when I tried to remove it, it completely disintergrated. However with a bit of cleaning up I was able to replace it and now everything works fine. I know you should not replace a fuse without finding the cause of failure but I am going to Germany on Thursday so I will take spare fuses and if the fault persists I will get it checked out on my return. Once again thanks to all of you who helped.

Archived