printing ferry tkts?

fesspark

Just bought some ink cartridges for my epson sx130 printer online and I tried to print off 2 ferry Tkts;The epson printer does,nt accept the cart; as they are not originals and I wondered if any of youForum members have had simular problems? I thought it must be illegal for a company to sell you something and then dictate where you buy your extras? The company I purchased them from has offered to take them back and refund postage and invoice price.But they did not have too,they said that I probably could get my printer reverted to its original state and Epson had done something since I purchased it to stop other inks being used.,Your knowledge would be gratefully received, Fesspark

Epson are notorious for issuing software updates which block remanufactured or non-original cartridges from being used in their printers.

Have you consciously updated the printer firmware or allowed it to be updated through Windows update?

You may need to fall back to a previous driver, or delete your printer driver and re-install from the original media that came with the printer. If you haven't got the media, you can find compatible firmware on the WIC website - https://www.wic.support/

These links may be of interest

https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-original-and-compatible-cartridges

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/07/printer-ink-save-money-with-third-party-brands/

I have an elderly Canon injet printer and have always used genuine Canon ink cartridges bought on-line as cheaply as possible. I do very little printing nowadays, and (for me) cost saving by buying 3rd-party cartridges isn’t worth the bother given the possibility of incompatibility issues. Obviously, if I were doing a lot of printing, it might be another matter.

A slight aside.

Are you sure you need to print tickets? Our last four sailings nobody has bothered checking our tickets, and indeed the last sailing was purchased online whilst in Netherlands and we never printed anything.

For black and white printing I use a thirty year old hp laserjet printer, cartridges cost £20 and will last over a year. Colour printing is a rip off, so I ration my use, the ink is more expensive than the best champagne, and although the replacement cartridges are widely available, they are still hit and miss.

B&W is fine for most things.

Guest pelmetman

Wots a ferry ticket? 8-) ...........

I just jot down the reference number from the confirmation email ;-) .........

Don't even need that on the tunnel :D ...........

I continually have problems printing with my Epson SX445 when I use non Epson cartridges. I have had some success using the Asda alternative cheapies but even then occasionally I have problems and have to fiddle about shaking the cartridges and continually reloading them. I consider this to be worth the trouble, Asda cartridges cost £18 for the 4, Epson are £55 for the same thing.

Bob

Printers I use for all my ins; docs m.home, car,bike policy prints ,as when I am abroad which is most of the time a thing called a copper often stops you and checks your paper work,If you have,nt got it they love you and slap a heavy fine on you and if you do not pay up they confiscate your MH, got it! Fesspark

• 2 weeks later...
I have used an EPSON printer for the last 20 years, this one I use now is 10 years old and I have always used compatibles, as well as fill you own cartridges. The links mentioned here should help you out. Out of interest my printer came up with a message once 'it is now out of date.' It is possible to do a reset and start again. The info.and links I got off the internet search to enable this function.

Also had problems with Epson and generic cartridges. I was given to understand that infrequent use of inkjet printers was part of the problem so I bought a mono laser printer from Samsung when an excellent price offer was in place.

All ok so far. Irish Ferries (to France) usually ask for passports and I simply offer print out. I guess they have no ANPR in operation, although the website does state that you can quote the booking ref at check in.

Given that we may be away for 7 or 8 weeks, I tend to print off two or three boarding passes and being a bit OCD one of them is then laminated and stored with the various documents that have to accompany us.

Davy

Never printed Ferry tickets just have the ref number hand written from whatever source you get your tickets and present this at the gate, this is not even necessary as ,as you approach the gate your number plate is camera read and the operator says good morning mister whatever , why complicate things ?

Deffheads - 2018-08-26 5:00 PM

Why bother printing tickets, just take a photo on a mobile phone....

If you haven’t printed the ticket, how can you take a photo of it?

The “printing ferry tkts?” title of Fesspark’s original posting was incidental to his real problem which was the inability of his Epson printer to function with 3rd-party ink cartridges.

I print ferry tickets as a) I have a printer that works, b) it’s easy to do and c) I like having the ticket in hard-copy. I’m sure that Brittany Ferries (with whom I travel across the Channel) do not NEED to see a hard-copy version of the ticket and that just quoting the booking reference would be adequate, but giving the person in the embarkation booth a printed copy of the ticket avoids any room for doubt (especially when returning from France). If there are vehicle registration-number recognition systems at Brittany Ferries embarkation booths that would ‘authenticate’ travellers’ vehicles I’m not aware of it.

I can’t see ferry operators being resistant to people presenting ‘paper’ tickets when they arrive at the port, demanding instead that a traveller confirms their booking digitally when they turn up. Nor that all ferry operators will rely on number-plate authentication.

As Brittany Ferries sends me a printable file that carries comprehensive details of my booking (including cabin numbers) what incentive is there for me to not print that file? Obviously, if I didn’t have a working printer, I would not be able to print the ticket but, as I have a working printer, all the printing process costs me is a sheet of A4 paper and a drop of printer ink.

Archived