rain-x

Jasper

I use Rain-X on my motorhome's cab side windows but not on the windscreen as, many years ago, I found that it resulted in the windscreen-wipers 'scraping' on the semi-dry glass.

I've avoided using Rain-X on the wing-mirrors so far as they seem to be made of plastic rather than glass and I had this idea I'd read somewhere that Rain-X should only be used on glass. Does anyone know if that's right please?

Lidl have a windscreen treatment kit coming in om Thursday http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090310.p.Windscreen_Solution_Kit.ar3?OpenDocument&resetFilialDaten=1&id=1262&zipcode=TF1%206RD&city=Telford&city2=null&street=Castle%20Street&ar=3&EMID=09500E30KSTR43KEOCHDH01IA364F

I used a similar one from Aldi last year and was pleasantly surprised with the results.

D.

Derek Uzzell - 2009-03-01 8:59 AM

I've avoided using Rain-X on the wing-mirrors so far as they seem to be made of plastic rather than glass and I had this idea I'd read somewhere that Rain-X should only be used on glass. Does anyone know if that's right please?

I used Rain-ex on the plastic rear window of my 'van with disasterous results - it crazed. I have found it very effective on the glass windows and mirrors.

BrianR - 2009-03-02 8:26 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2009-03-01 8:59 AM

I used Rain-ex on the plastic rear window of my 'van with disasterous results - it crazed. I have found it very effective on the glass windows and mirrors.

Can it be used on transparent plastics? top

Generally no. The increasing variety of various coatings applied to plastics makes it impossible to pre-test for compatibility under all conditions, and users should satisfy themselves by treating an area outside the normal area of vision. Please note that constant, repetitive use should be avoided due to the possible formation of stress cracking, especially on clear, curved sections.

Jasper,

What's wrong with simple water and a sponge or brush. I'm real mean and never buy any concoctions or additives.

One tip is when you park up for a long spell organise your wipers so that they come to rest vertical (upright), by doing that they won't collect dust and possibly will not be stuck to the glass, as happens when layed flat.

They will also be less affected by the sun.

Bill

I was in conversation with another Renault Master owner when he mentioned that his van's door mirrors were prone to misting up. I asked if he had heated mirrors and he replied that there was no switch, only a "heated rear window switch" which was "daft" because his van did not have a heating element in its rear window. Imagine his surprise to learn that it is that switch which operates the heated mirrors.............he just hadn't tried it! His last car had two separate switches apparently, so he assumed that was the norm.

Bob *-) :-D

Libby,

Re wipers sticking to the screen especially in hot weather i.e. Spain, I always put a wine bottle cork between the wiper arm and the screen to lift the blades just clear of the screen. Of course the more affluent owners could always use champaigne corks.

Mike

Guest Peter Sharpe

This thread has reminded me that I probably still have a bottle of Rain-X somewhere - I must dig it out. I found it to be extremely effective, but you really do have to follow the intructions to the letter and it does take quite a while to do the job properly (or perhaps I'm just impatient). I was fascinated to find that it was so effective, that in quite heavy rain, I didn't even need to used my wipers, I just watched the water streaming off sideways as I drove along. The heavier the rain, the better it seemed to work. I think it was quite expensive, but it does seem to last a very long time.

What I really would love, is a product that eliminates the oily film that build up on the inside of the windscreen. I always used to assume it was oil vapour being sucked in through the heater vents, but somebody told me it is actually the result of something given off by the plastic used in modern dashboards.

Thanks Libby. I am generally a fan of just water but particularly the nearside wing mirror becomes quickly caked in muck and my wee arms don't reach across to clean it when I am driving also pulling over to clean it every couple of miles is a drag. Just wondered if there was anything that would ease the problem. I've tried to train the dog to open the window and lick the mirror clean but even that leaves it smeary.

Archived