rapido 9048 headligts

Grumpy Grandad

I suspect you have the 90mm dia Hella lamps.

You can adjust them to a flat beam (no kickup) by loosening the 3 screws on the back of the unit and rotating the lamp assembly. Before you do this, you need to remove the top screw completely, then rotate the unit so you can reinsert the screw in the alternative hole located about 10mm from the original.

I leave my Hella dipped lamps on flat beam all year round. Never had a problem at MOT time.

As Robbo suggests, the dipped-beam headlamps fitted by Rapido to a 2012 9-Series motorhome are probably the Hella units shown in this advert

https://tinyurl.com/y3o4374c

There are adjustment-related drawings that may help in this 2017 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Adjusting-Hymer-Hella-H-Lamps-L-RHD/46776/

but carrying out the alteration procedure may prove very challenging if (as is commomplace) accessing the rear of the headlamp is difficult.

The first thing to do is confirm whether or not the Rapido’s dipped-beam headlamps are actually producing a UK-norm pattern with an on-the-left 'kick-up’, as there is the possibility that they might already be set to produce a ‘flat’ beam-pattern.

Beam-benders will not be commercially available for this type of headlamp, but it MIGHT be practicable to add an adhesive tape mask to suppress the on-the-left 'kick-up' part of the dipped-beam pattern.

It’s not mandatory to ‘bend’ or ‘mask’ headlamps to alter a UK-norm dipped-beam pattern - the requirement is that the headlamp should not (or is unlikely to) dazzle oncoming drivers when the vehicle is being driven in right-hand-traffic countries.

If the motorhome has a dashboard control to adjust the angle of the dipped-beam downwards, using that control may be sufficient to prevent dazzle. This will not be an ideal approach if the vehicle is to be driven a lot at night as it will reduce the distance that the light from the dipped-beam reaches, but it’s an option if bending/masking/altering the dipped-beam pattern itself proves impracticable or really hard to do.

Grumpy Grandad - 2019-08-03 9:00 PM

Hi.

Our 2012 Rapido 9048 df has small round headlights. Does anyone know where I can get suitable beam benders please?. Also, I have taken some photos of the headlights, but how do I attach them to my message please.

Stuart

If your van is standard RHD, are you needing to use adaptors/beam benders for a trip abroad? Eurolites have adaptors, although the fitting instructions are vague, unless you are fitting to a car!

flyboyprowler - 2019-08-04 9:53 AM

Hi.

Our 2012 Rapido 9048 df has small round headlights. Does anyone know where I can get suitable beam benders please?. Also, I have taken some photos of the headlights, but how do I attach them to my message please.

Stuart

If your van is standard RHD, are you needing to use adaptors/beam benders for a trip abroad? Eurolites have adaptors, although the fitting instructions are vague, unless you are fitting to a car!

When I first got my van with the round Hella lamps, I did try the Eurolites....more as a show of legal compliance.

Used the circular mask but with only 50% masking the lamp lens. Seem to remember I stuck them in the SE quadrant. The Eurolite instructions do refer to this type of lamp but as you say, it's a bit vague.

Ths Hella lamps aren't the most efficient (understatement !!!), so masking a part of the lens, only worsens the situation. That's why I eventually adjusted them to a flat beam.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I can see ( just) the screw, and the slot it sits in, at the back of the headlight. How the heck you get to it to adjust it I wouldn't know. The only time that I expect to be driving in the dark in France is when we leave Calais port at 4am, and also when we arrive back at the port at about 2.30am. I will just leave the adjustment alone I think. Are you allowed to park overnight at Calais port, the same as Dunkirk, and also is it safe !!

Stuart

Robbo - 2019-08-04 2:47 PM

flyboyprowler - 2019-08-04 9:53 AM

Hi.

Stuart

When I first got my van with the round Hella lamps, I did try the Eurolites....more as a show of legal compliance.

Used the circular mask but with only 50% masking the lamp lens. Seem to remember I stuck them in the SE quadrant. The Eurolite instructions do refer to this type of lamp but as you say, it's a bit vague.

Ths Hella lamps aren't the most efficient (understatement !!!), so masking a part of the lens, only worsens the situation. That's why I eventually adjusted them to a flat beam.

We are now in France, and used the Eurolites, fitted to the top left quadrant, and no one flashed us! The chap at Eurolights was very helpful, and their instructions do include fitting for the small Hella type for a Hymer.

Archived