rapido709f table

Guest pete leigh

Guest pete leigh
just bought a rapido709f and we find the table far to big and heavy. We are trying to find a table with folding legs that can also be wall mounted. Rapido can supply one for around £300!! and we have been unable to find one elsewhere. Has anyone seen such a thing?

Guest Keith T
Hi Pete. we have a 710F, which has/had the rear table, complete with folding mechanism for the bed base and which is also too heavy to handle. Whilst we use a smaller table top (from the front lounge), the principal is the same, and we have fitted this with a detachable Fiamma pole, and a base socket inserted into the floor.Your layout is different i know, but this may be of some help in a bit of 'lateral thinking' - £300 for a table is hadly good value. Otherwise, what about an independant lightweight camping type table with adjustable legs? POst a message if you would lkie me to conact you with more detail.

Hi Pete We've got the same van, only a 2003 version - obviously we've both got excellent taste!!! As for the table, we put up with ours for 2 years and then decided enough was enough and out it had to go. First we bought a couple of the folding legs, the standard type that are like an inverted 'T' that you can fold flat under the table, same as used for free standing tables. We then obtained a piece of vinyl covered chip board (an old desk top from work!) but anything will do so long as it isn't heavy and doesn't flex. We then simply attached the folding legs to the underside and after removing the attachment rail from the underside of the original table, we put this on one end of the replacement table. Hey presto, a much lighter table which we can also use outside if we want to. We made the table top itself 6 inches shorter than the original, it is still very usable but makes getting into the cupboard and fridge much easier (without the extra curvy bit of table hitting your bum every time!). The legs we got were actually obtained from a car boot sale cheap and they were a couple of inches shorter than we needed (there are 2 different sizes apparently!) so we just took off the plastic end caps off one of the 'T' legs and used a couple of cut down old speaker wall mount brackets (which are L shaped) and slotted them in to the ends of the legs which raises it up by the 2 inches when in the van. Then when we want to use it outside, we just slide them out. The second leg just stays folded under the table in the 'van and doesn't get in the way at all. Whilst I'm at it another change we made was to alter the way the fridge opens, ours was originally hinged on the right which was a pain for loading/unloading, cleaning etc, so I altered it to open on the left instead, much more user friendly. I managed to do this, without having to take the fridge out, with a small pair of pliers, a hammer and a small chisel!!! The only thing you will need to buy first though is a replacement 'locking catch', just the bit that you swing round to secure the door in transit, you should be able to pick this up at any of the shows or if you speak nicely to one of the dealers you might get one for free. If you want to know how to change the fridge door roung, or want some piccies of the table etc just drop me a line at the following email address and I'll get in touch. micromaniacsclub@yahoo.co.uk Regards Mel B

Guest Derek Uzzell
Pete: Rapido tables are well made and substantially constructed, hence heavy. If what is being offered to you for £300 is a genuine Rapido product then the price will reflect the quality of construction and appearance. It's also a fair bet that it will be pretty much as heavy as the standard item (unless its design is much simplified of course). Should you choose to take the DIY route then caravan breakers would be a potential source of table-tops, legs, etc.

Peter I've emailed you with the pictures etc about the table, fridge door and other bits. If anyone else is interested just drop me a line at my email address and I'll forward copies. micromaniacsclub@yahoo.co.uk Regards Mel

Archived