re-placing front suspension on 2003 18 maxi ducato

Keff

hi peoples

I have a Murvi on a fiat ducato 18 maxi can anyone help do you have to remove the dash to replace the front suspension struts I have looked all over the net for a workshop manual but can't find one

I am replacing the front disks and pads and noticed a slight damp patch on the front leg so thought it would be a good idea to change them before they get worse but when you follow the leg up it come out inside the car and under the dash' surely you don't have to remove the whole dash to change them any help or advise would be appreciated *-)

I have the Fiat shop manual for the 1995-2003 Ducato. The lower dashboard cover is removable to access the top of the turrets. About five or six fasteners in all. the top ones possibly inside the glove box.

I hope you have suitable spring compressors. As an apprentice back in the early 1960s the dent in the workshop roof where a Ford Consul ( EOTA model) front spring escaped from improvised clamps a year or two earlier could still be seen.

As George says the lower dash panels need to be removed to gain access to the strut top mountings. Be warned the struts are very heavy and the lower strut mounting bolts are VERY tight. Refitting the new strut is really a two man job unless you are Mr Atlas. If you are fitting new struts be sure to replace the top mountings as well as these often fail.

D.

Hi George yes thanks that helps I have most of the dash off now but can't see the top of the wheel arch or bolts there is just so much wiring. where did you get your workshop manual from I am guessing the face lift model would be the same fittings as the 2002 ones, I have a workshop manual on cd but can't get it to run got it from eBay so who knows.

Thanks for your help

Keff

hi Dave

yes have the new ones they are heavy but have two of us when needed. I am replacing both legs and all the fitting its done 90.000 miles so guess not bad. what a strange place the fitting no wonder fiat want a fortune to do them. I am replacing the disks and pad. the motor home just passed an MOT 3 weeks ago when the pad ended up metal to metal. just show you can't trust MOT's, saw the leg was damp so thought I might as well do the lot at one time. guess the van is getting old now so really need to get a workshop manual as it probably going to needing more work doing in the future.

Archived