repsol gas in portugal

buck111

Hi all,I have a spanish repsol propane gas bottle which i got in spain last year,my question is can i swap it when i am in portugal this winter,do they do repsol refills.my motorhome only carrys two six kg calor bottles which I will not be able to swap as they do not do 6kg bottles so i have to have another source of gas hence the repsol bottle,or can i get mine filled. thanks all

buck111 - 2015-11-05 3:54 PM

Hi all,I have a spanish repsol propane gas bottle which i got in spain last year,my question is can i swap it when i am in portugal this winter,do they do repsol refills.my motorhome only carrys two six kg calor bottles which I will not be able to swap as they do not do 6kg bottles so i have to have another source of gas hence the repsol bottle,or can i get mine filled. thanks all

Yes, you can swap bottles. Portugal bottles are mostly BP, but there are Repsol agents, it always seems to me that Repsol bottles in Portugal are largely plastic in various sizes. Their barrel shape doesn't help getting

them into small gas lockers.

You can get British bottles refilled at various places, some along the Algarve. In fact at one or two places they would probably put the gas into a carrier bag if asked!

Hi, the Portuguese Repsol bottles differ from the Spanish and where you may be able to exchange your Spanish bottle for a Portuguese one in Portugal I dont think that a general retailer in Spain will take a Portuguese one for exchange.

If you want a bottle in Portugal you can just get one from any service station with no formalities whatever, whereas in Spain they are not easily obtained (except at a car boot etc which I believe is illegal) so it may be best to hold on to the Spanish one for future use. I just used to get my Calor bottles refilled at Bolliqueme or Olhao on the Algarve, I now have refillables.

Colin

I have never had a problem exchanging Repsol bottles in Portugal for Spanish ones, plenty of Repsol garages in Portugal. GAZ bottle will get you out of trouble with the correct regulator and bottles are universal but not the cheapest option, Yes gas bottles [Calor ] etc can be refilled in Portugal, you can buy a connecter on E BAY but it is not a safe option , others will disagree, fitted refillables [i now have these ] are the best option, where I live  gas is on sale for 58 p a litre and so you will soon recoup the cost of installation. 

nomad - 2015-11-05 6:56 PM

Hi, the Portuguese Repsol bottles differ from the Spanish and where you may be able to exchange your Spanish bottle for a Portuguese one in Portugal I dont think that a general retailer in Spain will take a Portuguese one for exchange.

If you want a bottle in Portugal you can just get one from any service station with no formalities whatever, whereas in Spain they are not easily obtained (except at a car boot etc which I believe is illegal) so it may be best to hold on to the Spanish one for future use. I just used to get my Calor bottles refilled at Bolliqueme or Olhao on the Algarve, I now have refillables.

Colin

Repsol bottles are interchangeable between Spain and Portugal, ( & France for that matter, 'cos they're exactly the same as Spain). The last time I did it was in Calpe where a gas delivery man exchanged a plastic Portuguese Repsol bottle for a Spanish steel bottle. I had previously exchanged a Spanish steel bottle for the Portuguese plastic one at a petrol station, somewhere on the Algarve with no problems at all.

This is not opinion, but fact.

Like you I've had Calor bottles refilled and also seen a Camping Gaz bottle refilled on the Algarve, I guess it will still be the same when we're there this winter.

starvin marvin - 2015-11-05 5:06 PM

buck111 - 2015-11-05 3:54 PM

Yes, you can swap bottles. Portugal bottles are mostly BP, but there are Repsol agents, it always seems to me that Repsol bottles in Portugal are largely plastic in various sizes. Their barrel shape doesn't help getting

them into small gas lockers.

You can get British bottles refilled at various places, some along the Algarve. In fact at one or two places they would probably put the gas into a carrier bag if asked!

No carrier bags filled in the Algarve, you have to go to Morocco for that ;-) Spanish Metal Orange Butane/Propane bottle is the same as the Portuguese one apart from the two small handles on the Spanish one and the guard rail handle on the Portuguese one which makes it 6 inches taller and a pig to get in some lockers. I have exchanged the bottles between the two counties with no problems. I also carry a 20litre light weight bottle which I can get refilled and as you can see the level of the gas inside the bottle I know when it's 80% full. These are known as "barge poll" bottles as some people prefer not to touch them but very safe if you know how to use them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've a Repsol Propane bottle that I use in Portugal bought from their depot at Odiaxere I've refilled it there and others places several times, on our way home we exchanged it in Spain with no problems there was a difference in the bottles the handles where different design. Jan this year I stopped at Odiaxere to exchange it and was warned that as it was a Spanish bottle I might not be able to exchange it back in Spain but they where quite happy to do so.

I'd recommend this depot they speak English and where very helpful with adaptors when I first bought my bottle

Archived