reversing camera

yoko8pups

I assume you have in mind to fit the camera system to your Portugal-registered 2005 Hymer C524 motorhome.

A reversing-camera system can cost not much or a lot. You’ll need to decide whether you want a system for reversing only (ie. the camera points steeply downwards towards the motorhome’s rear bumper) or that can provide a ‘look down’ view that’s used when reversing, plus a 'look-back' view that will be useful as the motorhome is being driven. In the latter case a twin-lens camera would normally be fitted and such cameras will be more expensive than a single-lens camera. You’ll also need to decide whether you’d prefer to have the system’s monitor mounted on the motorhome’s dashboard or on its rear-view mirror.

A system can be ‘wireless’ or ‘wired’. The wired type is usually fitted to motorhomes, but demands that there be a cable connecting the camera at the motorhome’s rear to the monitor in the cab. It would be sensible to opt for a monitor with a reasonably sized screen (say 5” minimum).

It should be possible to purchase a reliable ‘wired’ system with a single-lens camera for about £150, but the cost of professional installation in a motorhome might easily cost the same amount again - you might try contacting Dave Newell about this

https://davenewell.co.uk/reversing-cameras/

This is a recentish relevant forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/reversing-camera/50274/

I've got a 2016 Peugeot boxer x290. I'm having a reverse camera fitted next month. It's the type that replaces the rear upper break light. The screen is on a rear view mirror type assembly. I don't currently have a rear view mirror so that's included too. All fitted for £215 Inc vat. It's being done by a mobile auto electrician who I've used before. Very reasonable. I must point out my van is a bare panel van. I'm having the camera done prior to conversion.

Archived