reversing camera

bucko 1

is there a way to change the reversing camera to a reversing/rear view camera using the existing wires without having to wire a new feed through,wasn't sure if this one could be taken off and changed for a dual one without adding more wiring,thanks

it is a rollerteam auto roller 694 130 multijet 2014

bucko 1 - 2021-01-09 4:26 PM

is there a way to change the reversing camera to a reversing/rear view camera using the existing wires without having to wire a new feed through,wasn't sure if this one could be taken off and changed for a dual one without adding more wiring,thanks

it is a rollerteam auto roller 694 130 multijet 2014

My camera will come on with the ignition if I have previously switched the monitor ON with the ON/OFF switch. It remembers the setting when the ignition is switched off. If the Monitor is switched OFF then it acts as a reversing camera i.e. it comes on when selecting reverse gear.

bucko 1 - 2021-01-09 4:58 PM

our camera comes on when in reverse gear only showing the tow bar but we was hoping to change the camera for one that can be used as a rear view camera as well when we are driving, if this can be done ??? thanks

Has the monitor got an ON/OFF switch?

Unless the van is pre wired with two separate cables to carry the video signals from the dual camera to the display unit, its not easily viable. You also have a problem if the display monitor has a single video input. There are workarounds to these issues but the most simple method is two sepearte video cables and a monitor with two video inputs. The always on rear view and the reversing view selection are easily interfaced to the reverse light and ignition on signals. Its important that the 'always on' rear view camera has a suitable narrow field of view. Typically 60 to 90 degrees view for rear view and 120 to 160 for reversing.

Using a manual select for the view is helpful compared to just relying on the reverse signal.

I have found this company helpful,

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/home.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyaurmLuP7gIVk7PtCh1dzgrfEAAYASAAEgJMv_D_BwE

Mike

The camera factory-fitted to my Rapido motorhome is intended for use when reversing and, consequently, its design includes a relatively wide ’viewing angle’ to cover the width of the vehicle when the camera looks downwards towards the rear bumper.

The camera displays on the screen of a Pioneer multi-media unit in the motohome’s dashboard and there’s the option to have the camera displaying continuously and/or come on automatically when reverse-gear is selected. I want a continuous rear view, but the only way to prevent the system switching between the two options ((painfully slowly and infuriating when manoeuvring) proved to be by cutting the wire that (I assume) led to the gearbox reverse-gear switch.

On a basic monitor+camera system it ought to be practicable to change from comes-on-automatically-when-reversing to continuously-on with some judicious tweaking at the monitor end. But, as Mike says, the rear-view image won’t be ideal.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-01-09 6:36 PM

On a basic monitor+camera system it ought to be practicable to change from comes-on-automatically-when-reversing to continuously-on with some judicious tweaking at the monitor end.

No tweaking required on my Pilote factory fitted system. Monitor switched ON comes on/off with the ignition, with the monitor switched OFF it works only when reverse gear is selected. I have it set for the first option i.e. permanently ON with the camera set for long range view and the picture is very good.

thanks for replys the monitor does have 2 video outputs but only 1 is connected to show the tow bar downwards view which can stay on continuous and it does have an on off switch we just wanted to replace the downward view camera with a rear view camera with out having to rewire the whole lot again if possible,thanks

I remember looking at this on our van and I found a camera with a motorised lens that could be changed between reversing mode and rear view mode and would have been a direct replacement for the factory fit item. It was very expensive though and being a tight Yorkshireman I decided to fit a number plate type camera to use as a rear view camera leaving the factory fit item in situ. This new camera was cabled to the current monitor. My reasoning, apart from cost, was that I didn’t have to mess with the factory fit camera nor did I have to drill any new holes through the skin of the van, so no warranty issues.

bucko 1

A relatively inexpensive camera with a narow (60 degrees) viewing angle is advertised on the link Mike provided above.

https://www.parkingcameras.com/store/cam063-4-pin-connector-narrow-angle-black-bracket-rear-view-camera.html

Whether installing this camera would involve merely taking off the current camera and connecting the replacement camera to the original cable would depend on the make/specification of the system you currently have. There MIGHT be a need to fit a ‘converter’ between the new camera’s fly-lead and the existing cable that leads to the monitor, but that’s something you’d need to discuss with the supplier.

As you haven’t owned your motorhome long and your present camera system has the capability to display an image continuously (and if the camera is good quality), you might try angling the current camera upwards to provide a rear-view picture. I have a Waeco CAM50 camera on my present Rapido motorhome and the same camera was fitted to my previous Hobby motorhome. This camera has a 120 degrees viewing angle that is fine for a reversing camera, but overly wide for rear-viewing. Nevertheless, I’ve employed that camera usefully for 15 years and I don’t plan to swap it.

These links mention motorised cameras

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/advice-for-beginners/motorhomes/choosing-a-rear-view-system/

https://www.hortoncommon.co.uk/motorhome-reversing-cameras/

and there’s a USA-marketed example here

https://www.carid.com/rear-view-safety/motorized-tilt-rear-view-camera-mpn-rvs-811.html

(I also vaguely recall there being a peculiar camera that combines the functionality of twin-lens and motorised cameras into a fixed unit with a single lens.)

your current camera is more than likely wired into the reversing lights for its supply, you could track the wiring joint down, look in the light fittings, replace the join to the reversing light with a feed from a ignition or leisure battery fed live (light fitting perhaps). Then you would need to angle the camera to get the best rear view.

I ran two camera's one for close top down view and one as a rear view, (I know you can get dual mounted camera's these days) each camera needs its own video feed which is a lot of wire, the power for both camera's can be linked together I ran mine from a convenient light fitting hence powered by the leisure system (switched to engine battery on the move) which means they can be used for security when stopped as well. My display screen can switch between the two camera's by a press of a button.

There are also wireless cameras, that depending on distance and construction material of your MH may work, but they would still need a power supply

Not an answer to your question and I don’t know how much you’ve driven your van, but if it’s new to you it may be worthwhile driving the van for a few hundred miles before deciding if you really need a rear view driving camera and incurring modification work. Most lorries/white vans drive on side mirrors alone. As a long term car driver, when I first purchased my Landrover I had to learn to drive on side mirrors and 27 years later I still did not feel the need for a rear view mirror. My motorhome has the benefit of both reversing camera (essential) and driving rear view camera. The latter I ignore to the point that I will often turn the monitor off as it’s just a distraction especially at night. As long as you have decent side mirrors, ideally with a blind spot view, then you might find that that’s all you need.

• 2 months later...
Mikefitz many thx ,after reading your forum posting and you mentioned the parking camera company, i looked into them and to be honest and i say this sparingly its not often you come across a company willing to answer every little question, even suggest slightly different items explaining why it might be better, well i am now all sorted using a 2 camera system system 1 is my rear view mirror which turns on with the ignition and when parking system 2 is my reversing camera angled down to the back of the motorhome both in HD colour fantastic cheers for link regards Chris

Archived