road speed limiters

alanmac

Guest alanmac
have just read part of an article about speed limiters having to be fitted to "goods vehicles" over 3500kgs. No mention as far as I can see about motorhomes but it may include some some 8 seater RVs. the web site is www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/newsevents/newsreleases/18-01-05newrequirementsforroadspeedlimiters.htm. Does anyone have any further ,"informed " views,or know if this will concern "us"

One firm I worked for had speed limiters fitted they can be dangerous At 60mph the engine just lost power until the speed was reduced to about 55mph then the power came back on

If you purchase an up-market car (not like mine!) these come with cruise control that can be used in different ways. One way is to set the maximum speed you want then drive the car manually using the pedal. It,won,t let you go any faster than the set speed! Commercial systems have been around for some time now to limit HGV's to 56 MPH (80K) and I guess its an extension of this. Not for me though!

Dont worry, motorhomes are not classed as "goods" vehicles. If they were you would s%^+; yourself at the insurance quote and road tax fee.Limiters are fitted so the haulage firm saves money on fuel costs because its more economical at 56 mph and the driver wont be able to go over 60 mph and break the law, I suppose its also eco friendly? Im a wagon driver by the way. Happy camping.

Guest Brian Kirby
Funny thing about HGV speed limiters, isn't it? I thought there was a Europe wide 100 kph limit on HGVs. However, it seems different countries have a different length kilometre! I have seen some HGVs travelling well above the 100kph/ 60mph limit in UK and Europe. Portugese ones seem particularly nippy. Legal, or not?

Ken Just for clarity, motorhomes over 7500kg weight ARE classed as goods vehicles. Hence the necessity of a LGV licience to drive one. Despite what some may think, there is absolutely NO grey area here. However, that refers to driver liciencing requirement only and not to taxation class, insurance cover, nor requirement for speed limiters. Regards Neal

Just for further clarity, speed limiters are a legal requirement for HGVs and are NOT the fuel saving choice of the operators. Coaches are speed limited to 70 mph though they may not now use the outside lane of a 3-lane motorway.

Archived