roof vent plastic

Guest henry

Guest henry
Hello there does any one have a clue how to repair the above vent on a Hymer ( the smaller of the 2)on a Hymer 534. I am sure that the price of a new one will cause me to take a very large intake of breath!

Guest David Powell
Hello Henry...You don't mention the size of the repair job, I have repaired or rebuilt a few cracked, broken, and badly smashed, plastic things using commercial super glue, and on a big job 'No Nails' rough the surfaces and use sparingly. Soft flexible plastics often don't adhere to glue, so try a bit first before you waste your time completing the job only to find it comes unstuck. I don't need to warn you that super glue sticks things you don't want stuck if you are not very careful, it tends to run to places where you are not watching. I have failed with a shower tray, and a tap spout, but done O.K. on other jobs. Best of luck you need lots of patience, and surgical gloves.

Guest Clive
"Super Glue" is a Cyanoacrelate adhesive which is hydroscopic. Or to put it simply, it should fall apart after a few hours in water! Water is what the services use to free those unfortunate people who have become bonded to something inadvertently! Use it appropriately and its fine but don,t forget its limitations.

Guest David Powell
Ah! Thanks Clive...that's why it did not work on the shower tray and the tap spout. So it won't work on a roof vent, but "No nails" should.

Guest Mike P
Hi Henry, No-nails is a bit messy; try good old epoxy resin (Araldite etc). If it's a big job, large tubes can be obtained from RS supplies (look up their website via Google, just input RS)

Guest David Powell
Yes I agree with Mike, Araldite is exceptionally good, I repaired a hole in a jerry can with it years ago and it is still O K and that takes a right bashing as you can imagine. Only thing is, you have got to be fairly quick on a tricky rebuild as it is quite fast setting, but if you get it together it is done for life with apoxy resin.

Guest henry
as it is a relatively small job 2 inchx 2inch cracks we will try araldite. many thanks regards Henry

Archived