seats swivelling whilst driving

Guest Chas

Any comments on the latest problem, with my Fiat-based Chausson. I have found that my front seats become unclippped and swivel when you lean back.This, of course is fine when stationery but could be disastrous when moving. This happened unexpectedly whilst driving at 70 on a French motorway; the consequences could have been horrendous if I had been overtaking etc. and not on a clear straight road. Is this normal or a common fault? Any suggestions on how to prevent it? Thanks Chas

Guest Clive
You must take this back to the supplier and tell them formerly in writing. If the driving seat can do this it cannot satisfy the requirements of the "construction and use regulations". A mear "adjustment" would not be an acceptable cure. There is either a design or an assembly problem here that must be resolved. Good luck

Guest Derek Uzzell
Seat-swivel designs vary considerably, but there's often a contradiction between the swivel mechanism being stiff (good for driving: bad for easy seat rotation) or slack (vice versa). I recall a Hymer A-class-owning couple complaining about this - tighten up the pivot and the seat was difficult to rotate: loosen it and the driving-seat rocked distractingly on corners. Obviously your problem needs addressing and, if your motorhome is still under warranty, it would be a Chausson agent's responsibility to investigate the fault. Spontaneous driving-seat rotation won't be common and it certainly isn't normal. In your case, it may be due to a defective swivel, incorrect fitting, something jammed in the swivel-lock (you name it). The fact that the swivel unlocks when you lean back suggests that a central pivot-bolt is used, so a simple adjustment may fix it. The seat-swivel mechanism on our Herald was crude by design, had been assembled badly and adjusted incompetently. It had also been fitted wrongly to the seat and the seat-heating's wiring-loom had been trapped during that process. So never underestimate the ability of human-beings to screw up straightforward tasks. Unexpected seat rotation at 70mph on a motorway ain't so bad. I remember a 1960s article on a Rochdale Olympic sports-car reporting that the driving-seat had detached itself completely from the car's floor during a full-throttle acceleration run. Those were the days...

Guest Mel B
We used to have various driving competitions at our microcar club rally weekend many years ago, one of which was the 'blindfold driving course' where the driver was blindfold and the passenger had to tell him which way to go, very slowly of course. Unfortunately during one of these competitions the driver of an Isetta suddenly found his steering had gone very light ... his steering wheel had come off! Needless to say he soon heard us all yelling for him to stop as he poddled towards the marquee!!!

Archived