second year fiat service price?

chris

Guest chris
Can someone please clarify the cost of a second warranty service for a fiat 2.3jtd ducatto. Mileage will be around 11,000. My cousin just received a quote from Swansea fiat dealers for £460 to include vat and parts. That is absolutely crazy? I just phoned St Dogmaels in Cardigan and they said £140 plust vat and parts. Any idea if Swansea are correct as they claim fiat are changing things? Not sure what though. Apparently Cardiff will not service motorhomes now. Anyone else been given silly prices like this and is it correct that as long as fiat parts are used then you can cover the warranty with a non-fiat garage?

Guest Mike C
Hello Chris, Most Fiat dealers operate menu pricing with a fixed price for each type of service according to the service schedule as in your vehicle pack service book. My local dealer quotes £285 for second year service. I reckon this is expensive for what is covered. You can have servicing done outside the Fiat Dealer chain using approved Fiat parts up to the 2nd year warranty but the 3rd year is a dealer warranty so servicing will have to be done by a Fiat dealer. The problem with getting services done outside the Fiat dealer chain is being able to prove that the service has been correctly carried out with approved Fiat parts if and when you make a warranty claim. If you take this route make sure that you have documented evidence of the service and parts used including the Fiat part no(s). This is no different to most other manufacturers warranty systems and is your legal right. Regards, Mike C.

Guest Mel B
We've just had the second year service carried out by our local non-franchised garage. I check with the dealer we bought it from first and in the warranty book etc and so long as genuine Fiat parts are used and the garage is VAT registered there isn't a problem. It cost us £138 including VAT - a saving of around £50 at least. Even if it had been under an extended warranty for further years there wouldn't be a problem as it's only the habitation check that has to be done by the dealer from who we bought the warranty, not the mechanical service.

Guest Roger C
I have just been qouted about £250 for a first service (12 months but only 7500 miles). Does this sound realistic because it seemed like a lot to me? The dealer (Sunwin in Halifax)says they have to change all the filters which seems a bit OTT for the mileage.

Guest chris
That's good to know Mel. I can't believe what Fiat are charging! We had a secondhand van first and our local bus firm did servicing on weekends at an extremely low cost. These dealers are ripping us off. Now I know why people change their vehicles so quickly. They can't afford the warranty work each year!

Guest chris
Roger, our first service with fiat at St Dogmaels was about £140. We had done about 6000 miles then. I wonder who sets all these crazy prices? Are other base vehicles cheaper under warranty i.e. Ford, Merc etc

Guest Mike C
First year service on my Ducato 2.3 jtd MWB is £215 at local Fiat service agent for what is basically an oil change service. Rip off??? How many motor caravanners do more than 18000 miles per year? The warranty demand for an annual or an 18000 mile service which ever comes the sooner makes it even more expensive for those doing low mileage. In my case in two years I will probably drive 16000 miles but will have to pay at least £500 the same as a person driving 36000 miles. The problem we have here in NE Scotland is that there is only one company servicing Fiats within a reasonable distance (nearest other company is over 60 miles away). I could have the service done at a more reasonably priced dealer but then if anything needs atention it is a long haul to get it fixed and what if the fault makes the vehicle undriveable? I do not remember paying anything like these service costs on Ford Transit or VW vans and the second year service on my 2003 VW Passat is £198 and VW are considered as being expensive. The first year service price for a Peugeot Boxer 2.2 HDI is £186 at the local Peugeot dealer. Fiat do not set the prices. They set only the service items and man hours. It is the dealers who apply their labour rate so why are Fiat not interested in seeing that their customers are not being overcharged?

Guest Mike C
Further to the above. Local Peugeot dealer service price for Boxer 2.2 HDI MWB:- 12000 miles - £145 24000 miles - £145 36000 miles - £250

First year service on our Sprinter at the local Merc garage was just under £100. As the mileage was so low thay said all it needed was a check over and change the engine oil and filter. Subsequent services have been as above for 2 years then a full service (about £200) every third, again because we didn,t do many miles. But now we do it will get through a few more consumerables I guess. Our local FORD (cough) commercial garage seem to do most of the servicing for most makes of commercials - including Mercedes so I guess I might go there next time for a price. Its the same garage that the Merc garage sends its MOT tests to!

Guest Ceri
Hi Chris, yes we were quoted just over £400 for our 2nd year service at Fiats Swansea, actually got a print out they gave me over the counter FROM THEIR COMPUTOR it could be standard price. Glad in a way so to speak, our van is to long to fit their ramps so they are unable to do our sevice. In one of the supplement books we have had with MMM, (services) there is a coach company down in Penclawdd Gower that is recommended for servicing motorhomes, cant put my hand it now but i am sure its Pullman Coaches. Shall be getting intouch with them.

Guest Roger C
A sensible result in the end. Ripon Fiat have quoted £99 for the low mileage annual service which is basically an oil/filter change and checkover.

Guest chris
Hi Ceri and well done Rog , Well hubby decided to get on the case and he spoke to a fiat company van owner. From this info we called at A.D.G Carcare on Brynmenyn Ind estate, Bridgend. 01656 729300 They informed us cost would be £130, they are fiat approved and said they had had a few motorhomes coming to them lately. I wonder why? Well my next task is to contact fiat direct and get confirmation about warranty cover etc. Getting it in writing should assist everyone I hope. Will keep you updated as my service is due in September.

• 4 months later...
Guest CHRISTINE
Just keeping you all up to date. Just had the second year warranty done by Dragon Truck and Van in Cardiff. Cost £130 pounds. They were the recommended garage by Fiat as the Fiat dealer in Cardiff no longer services motorhomes. It pays to look around and spread the word as these main dealers are ripping us off. Habitation service was £150 so just kissed goodbye to a lot of money. Happy travelling everyone

Archived