security

If you are wild camping then a look see on wild campers web sites might help.

Both my wife and I are paranoid, do not use Aires, but look for cheaper camp sites to stay in. Although in reality they are probably no less safe that an Aire .

A good quality, very loud, (double siren) alarm with activators on each opening door , together with a gas alarm might give peace of mind.

I would imagine that once you get started, you will get the feel of what is secure and what is not. Trust your instinct, it's a sense that does get used much now a days, but still powerful.

Happy trips

Edit, it might be worth taking a look at the Caravan and Motorhome Club web site as they have a discussion group for Solo Campers.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/centres-rallies-special-interests/solo-caravanning-touring/

If the link works,

Rgds

Avoid big cities ( and smaller ones ).

Never sleep on motorways.

If you don't like the look of a place find somewhere else.

Never stay on your own.

Have a safe for valuables.

Do not wear anything expensive.

Use a tatty old phone.

Keep a suitable self defence weapon at hand. ( I use a 9mm Glock, (joking )

Buy a blow up muscular man and sit him in the passenger seat.

A large dog could be a substitute?

Double locks on all doors and a panic alarm.

I do most of this ( apart from the blow up man!) and also have my beloved wife to defend me if required.

The fact is, I have never had any problems apart from a failed break in attempt in about 40 years of wild/aires camping. I suggest you will be fine.

Oh, I nearly forgot, gassings are on the rise if you believe the reports. However, I have never met anyone with first hand experience of a gassing.

H

We always feel secure on official sites, and you may need to book ahead if in high season.

There was a case last year where a lone female was refused a pitch as it was the policy not to allow single travellers. It created a big fuss I remember.

The motorhome/caravan clubs arrange group tours, as do owners' clubs, which may be a good place to start.

BKen1 - 2019-05-26 6:06 PM

Clive_Adams - 2019-05-26 6:47 PM

If possible always park in the direction so you can leave quickly, just in case

Never heard of any body actually using this manouver ....

Bet you don't check the emergency exits in a hotel either

Clive_Adams - 2019-05-27 5:08 PM

BKen1 - 2019-05-26 6:06 PM

Clive_Adams - 2019-05-26 6:47 PM

If possible always park in the direction so you can leave quickly, just in case

Never heard of any body actually using this manouver ....

Bet you don't check the emergency exits in a hotel either

Nope ..do listen to the saftey guide on air planes though

hallii - 2019-05-26 7:15 PM

Avoid big cities ( and smaller ones ).

Never sleep on motorways.

If you don't like the look of a place find somewhere else.

Never stay on your own.

Have a safe for valuables.

Do not wear anything expensive.

Use a tatty old phone.

Keep a suitable self defence weapon at hand. ( I use a 9mm Glock, (joking )

Buy a blow up muscular man and sit him in the passenger seat.

A large dog could be a substitute?

Double locks on all doors and a panic alarm.

I do most of this ( apart from the blow up man!) and also have my beloved wife to defend me if required.

The fact is, I have never had any problems apart from a failed break in attempt in about 40 years of wild/aires camping. I suggest you will be fine.

Oh, I nearly forgot, gassings are on the rise if you believe the reports. However, I have never met anyone with first hand experience of a gassing.

H

thanks hallii

I will take all your suggestions on board. Your wife doesn't happen to be available from 26th June onwards, does she? If not the blow up man will have to suffice!

tonyishuk - 2019-05-26 5:21 PM

If you are wild camping then a look see on wild campers web sites might help.

Both my wife and I are paranoid, do not use Aires, but look for cheaper camp sites to stay in. Although in reality they are probably no less safe that an Aire .

A good quality, very loud, (double siren) alarm with activators on each opening door , together with a gas alarm might give peace of mind.

I would imagine that once you get started, you will get the feel of what is secure and what is not. Trust your instinct, it's a sense that does get used much now a days, but still powerful.

Happy trips

Edit, it might be worth taking a look at the Caravan and Motorhome Club web site as they have a discussion group for Solo Campers.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/centres-rallies-special-interests/solo-caravanning-touring/

If the link works,

Rgds

Thanks for your advice. Yes I was thinking of a very loud alarm along with a very bright torch to blind the general thieving, sex pest low lives!

Billggski - 2019-05-27 10:23 AM

We always feel secure on official sites, and you may need to book ahead if in high season.

There was a case last year where a lone female was refused a pitch as it was the policy not to allow single travellers. It created a big fuss I remember.

The motorhome/caravan clubs arrange group tours, as do owners' clubs, which may be a good place to start.

thanks for your advice billggski - I was only planning to use official campsites on the odd occasion..now it seems I may not be able to :-S worth knowing though

Clive A. Its dangerous not to check ALL the escape routes in a hotel it could cost you your life. As soon as you reach your room put your bags down and walk every exit that's publicised. That is your entitlement. You do meet some interesting people that way.

More than once I've passed through the families kitchen much to their surprise !

Will couldn't agree more, awareness and having a plan is always good, if you don't feel secure you don't have to stay, move on, at the end of the day each individual is responsible for his or her own safety, and possibly that of others if not travelling alone. And if you meet people as you pace the corridors or check the grounds that's usually a bonus.

All sensible suggestions, but looking at life from a UK perspective can give you paranoia!

Of course there is crime in France, but generally it is a much safer country if you just use common sense.

If somewhere feels wrong, then move on, something we have only done a very few times. Many of the Web apps will also give you an idea of the security aspects of a site.

We met several single females while in Spain and all felt secure even wild camping - only one had had recourse to holding her baseball bat and she admitted it was a result of misinterpretation of her friendliness.

And, 'gassing' is physically impossible, plenty of scientific evidence against it and all reports are 'someone I know'!

Charles - 2019-05-27 7:12 PM

Anybody can open your front doors until you fit some proper Thatcham deadlocks like these..

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o151/fleck_bucket/Mobile%20Uploads/20190119_151138.jpg

When they see these they don't bother trying.

yes I looked into these but they are out with my budget so currently trying to think of alternative deterrents...

TheFrenchConnection - 2019-05-27 7:21 PM

All sensible suggestions, but looking at life from a UK perspective can give you paranoia!

Of course there is crime in France, but generally it is a much safer country if you just use common sense.

If somewhere feels wrong, then move on, something we have only done a very few times. Many of the Web apps will also give you an idea of the security aspects of a site.

We met several single females while in Spain and all felt secure even wild camping - only one had had recourse to holding her baseball bat and she admitted it was a result of misinterpretation of her friendliness.

And, 'gassing' is physically impossible, plenty of scientific evidence against it and all reports are 'someone I know'!

I think it is my parents that are more paranoid than me! My Mum has just bought a gps tracker with an sos alarm button that I have to carry at all times with me!

Re cab door security, saw a chap when we were in France and he had a B&Q cheapy chain that he looped between the internal door handles/armrests and then padlocked together when on board. That's two out of three doors secured and then the Fiamma hab door handle lock for the other one would finish the job properly. I guess he's locking the hab door from outside then climb on board via either of the cab doors and chain himself in?

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/security-handles/caravan-and-motorhome-security/caravans-and-motorhomes/10048-fiamma-security-46-security-handle--white?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0paYs9m94gIVop3tCh1M9wyBEAQYAyABEgJke_D_BwE

Not a scenario I'd be happy with but each to their own

Also there's this from Milenco

http://www.milenco.com/products/security/recreational-vehicle-door-locks/security-door-lock

The generic safety precautions are all effective if visible to a prospective thief so that they move onto an easier target.

The safety precautions for a lone female are more specific, and there are several lone traveller sites with advice from experience rather than speculation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2018/07/24/best-trips-and-tips-for-female-solo-travel/#50b96838294e

The main thing is not to be paranoid but sensible about sites and security.

Good luck and enjoy the freedom.

It’s common place in Spain to carry wasp nest killer spray. Apparently it projects to a range of 3 to 5 meters causing temporary blindness with no permanent damage! Trouble is in a panic you may end up spraying yourself!

We had an intruder on the roof of a property in Spain, the best thing to do is shout and scream. I made loads of noise and neighbours came to my assistance, I’m sure it would be the same when you are travelling as long as you stay where there are other Motorhomes. We would always try and help someone if they needed us.

Good luck and enjoy your travels.

Andrea

Archived