sharp tv

Guest patricia

Guest patricia
I have a new Sharp 15" LCD TV which I wish to watch when not on hookup. I understand from a previous questioner that it needs to run on exactly 12v. and that I need to buy an inverter but could someone tell me exactly which one to buy. I have asked Maplin's for recommendations but they refer me to the manufacturer. Patricia

Guest Stuart
If you look at the Sharp instruction book it will tell you the wattage which the TV uses - probably in the region of 40 to 60 watts. I believe that the smallest inverter that Maplin's sells gives 150 watts so this will be adequate to power the TV.

Stuart is quite correct, but just to underline, the reason for using an inverter to provide some MAINS is to enable you to also use the mains adapter supplied with the TV. It is this adapter that generates the accurate voltage the TV needs, has all the filtering and provides galvanic isolation. If you are buying an inverter just consider what else you might like to run off it, (VCR, DVD, Laptop, camera charger etc.) add up all the wattages then buy an inverter at least 50% bigger. Modern inverters are quite efficient and take a low quiescent current so having a larger one is no longer a big disadvantage re economy.

Guest patricia
Thank you Stuart and Clive for your replies. Clive, I would also like to run my laptop, a Sony Vaio, off an inverter. But, at the moment I'm having a problem even getting an in car adapter (other than an expensive one from Sony), because the voltage is 19.5v and 4.75a. I did have a variable voltage car adapter from Maplins but it doesn't do that extra .5v. Apparently Maplin's don't do 19.5. I've tried searching via google etc. but the car adapters available for Sony notebooks don't include my model, because of the 19.5v. Sorry, if I have used the wrong terms, but I hope you understand. Do you have any thoughts on this? Any further advice would be very welcome. Patricia

Patricia, I'm sure Clive will give you a more technical answer, but your inverter will come complete with a socket to accept a normal mains plug. All you need to do is plug your Sony mains adapter into the inverter.

Guest patricia
Stuart Thank you! I'm relieved to hear that. Although I've read so many postings about inverters etc I wasn't sure how they worked in practice.Thanks again. Patricia

Archived