shengen travel insurance

fesspark

Why do you doubt it? Which consumer site review is, if it helps.

We've given AXA a superior rating for its coronavirus cover. Superior-rated insurers: Will cover you for emergency medical treatment, or cancellation because you've caught COVID-19, or have to self isolate. Won't cover you if you have to cancel your trip because Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office - but AXA, unlike other superior-rated insurers, does provide cover in case of government lockdown.

I take travel insurance out every year, nothing to do with virus,s and lockdowns, it is for repatreation, medical and hospital treatment in a foriegn country for a certain period of time. I just thought that this axa shengen insurance was very cheap and they do not ask your age? fesspark

The insurance covers any shengen country and it covers health bills for 100.000eu each person for the time you are away. also repatriation, I presume that is enough for motorhomers as your other insurances cover everything else except cancellation but then, that's where the ferry club comes in and you can cancel up to 3 days before without loss. fesspark

I cannot believe that more members have not responded to my post on AXA shengen travel insurance especially as no age or health problems are requested.And the cost is very low compared with u.k. companies,Am I missing something? fesspark

fesspark - 2021-05-01 1:31 PM

I cannot believe that more members have not responded to my post on AXA shengen travel insurance especially as no age or health problems are requested. And the cost is very low compared with u.k. companies, Am I missing something? fesspark

Just a guess, but it may be that not many are even considering going to Europe this year?

So no point worrying about insurance?

Jeremy

I cannot believe that more members have not responded to my post on AXA shengen travel insurance especially as no age or health problems are requested.And the cost is very low compared with u.k. companies,Am I missing something? fesspark

AXA is a reputable insurance companies and assuming you've gone through all the T&C's, it seems pretty good. In fact a bit too good. Most companies ask for pre-existing medical conditions to be listed and also age. After all both can impact an insurance quote. Have you spoken to AXA to check this out?

Once you have the T&C's of the policy confirmed it would also be a good idea to run it through other companies.

fesspark - 2021-04-27 12:37 PM

...that's where the ferry club comes in and you can cancel up to 3 days before without loss. fesspark

May I ask which “ferry club” you are referring to, please?

(Brittany Ferries have a “Club Voyage” scheme, but membership of that scheme won’t prevent the imposition of a charge on a traveller who chooses to cancel a crossing. The cancellation fee will depend on the class of ticket held and when it is cancelled, and will vary from 25% to 100% of the price of the ticket.)

I cannot believe that more members have not responded to my post on AXA shengen travel insurance

Because Like any thing talking about what might happen next year is pretty pointless and insurance for You wouldn't necessarily be any indication of anyone else's

According to the Axa-Schengen web site it states Axa Schengen is part of Axa Insurance but the head office is in Belgium and policies can't be purchased from Axa in this country only on line so you pay your money and take your chance. Who you appeal to if there's any problems with pay outs is anyone's guess. Good luck.

Derek, I understand the non refundable BF deposit and if you are in the club you can retain the deposit amount by just booking another trip in the future and there is no penalty for keep altering your booking. fesspark

Amendment is not cancellation...

On 5 June 2020 I booked a return crossing with Brittany Ferries (BF) travelling in September 2020, choosing a 'flexi' ticket. I've now amended that ticket four times and it's likely I'll amend it again. But I've paid BF over £300 and, if I eventually decide to cancel the ticket, the appropriate cancellation fee will be levied by BF.

BF's Club Voyage (CV) scheme allows discounted-price tickets to be purchased, but it does not change the amendment and cancellation terms and conditions that are stated here

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/ferry-ticket-types

My CV membership would have expired at the end of March 2021, but BF has extended this to the end of October 2021, so I MIGHT get a crossing in before my current CV membership ends.

I think the “schengen” reference is something of a red herring and Robert is just looking for (relatively) inexpensive travel insurance to cover a 89-days-long holiday in Spain. Presumably Robert’s choice of the holiday’s duration is so that he can scrape under the 90-days in any 180-day rule limit that, if exceeded, might require a visa/permit.

I notice thar there is a letter in the June 2021 issue of MMM Magazine (Page 18) that refers to a a UK petition about UK citizens spending long periods of time in the EU (eg. overwintering UK motorcaravanners). The petition closes on June 2021 and is here

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/562577

It reads as follows

Negotiate more favorable post-transition travel rules for U.K. citizens

From 1st January 2021, U.K. citizens travelling to the EU will only be allowed to stay a maximum of 90 days in every 6 month period.

The government must negotiate reciprocal treatment for its U.K. citizens, meaning allowing stays of at least 180 consecutive days.

The new rules will mean that if someone stays in a country for three months continuously they will then not be allowed to return to that country for another three months.

This is extremely unfair to the millions of Britons who own second homes all over Europe and have been splitting their life between the U.K. and another EU country for decades now.

There was a longish Government response on 3 March 2021 that can be summarised as “Tough luck!"

The reason I looked through insurance companies and found the schengen one is that us oldies well into our eighties do not get cover from most ins ; companies.as they have age limits, I have not got a clue if the Schengen ins is any use to us and am trying to find out? I. have spoken to AXA u.k. and Europe and up to this time nobody has answered me as to if it is ok for us or not. It has little to do with cost, We have just spent over £1000 on a return ferry to spain, and have spent over £65000 on our burstner ixeo, and god willing we will get some value from this spend. We have spent our last 40 plus winters for up to 13 weeks at one time enjoying Spain Portugal and other european countries and until we Die we will carry on doing so.I was a commando in 95 Reg and I do not give up easily. so any help on insurance for health only would be appreciated by us,fesspark

As the cost if the Axa-Schengen insurance is less than the normal Axa insurance I'm not surprised you've heard nothing. Everything I've seen on the Axa-Schengen appears to show it's legitimate, just read the small print as with all insurance. Good luck.

Possibly similar to private health cover for Eu countries.

I have been waiting for residency in France and many need private health cover until the day you get an answer, for a couple its about 400 euros per month so £300 for 3 months is good.

The insurance doesn't ask for any current health conditions.

My Mrs had an operation she had waited 4 years for in UK and the surgeon suggested we get in the system asap to avoid a huge bill which we did and had the op as soon as her health card dropped through the door.

Fwiw despite the NHS saying it was OK and paid on Ehic they weren't returning our calls to agree after filling forms.

The AXA-Schengen website has a long FAQ section

https://www.axa-schengen.com/en/FAQ

I notice that this includes the following:

Q: I have a medical issue, what should I do?

A: Please contact us as soon as possible on the phone number mentioned on your special conditions.

Q: What is a pre-existing condition?

A: Pre-existing condition is any sickness, disease or other medical condition of the Insured Person which requires medical treatment and which was know by the insured person and diagnosed before purchase of AXA Schengen travel insurance.

Although the AXA website’s homepage states that the “Europe Travel” product has no age restriction and no health questionnaire, that doesn’t mean that pre-existing medical conditions will have no effect on AXA’s decision to provide the policy or not, nor have no effect on the policy’s cost that is quoted as FROM 1.50€ per day.

I recently investigated a 12 month tourist visa for France. One of the conditions was a 12 month health insurance with minimum cover of €30000. Official website recommended axa schengen insurance. The policy asked no health questions and cost £192 per person. It was not a holiday travel insurance with typical coverage but a policy purely designed to cover requirements of the French govt for long stay visas. Axa offer a whole range of policies and now include the schengen word on many policies to clarify for third country customers such as we now are so imperitive to read the policy very carefully to ensure you are getting exactly the cover you require. Bloody Brexit??

Archived