simple security

Guest ian

here is a simple tip i've used for many years. When wild camping or staying on aires simply place a dog bowl full of water outside your door. No one knows you haven't got a dog and are not going to risk finding out!! PS. one of the best bowls are those lightweight stainless steel jobs with " Dog" embossed on. Happy camping

Guest David Powell
And a heavy dog chain with a big dog muzzle on it padlocked to the door step. Who is going to look for a big loose dog with no muzzle? Good thinking Ian, think bigger than the enemy!

There have been several occasions where we have befriended and fed large dogs during the evening while wild camping in France Spain and Portugal. They have invariably slept by the door of the van waiting for breakfast next morning,we have felt safer knowing that they are there. One good turn deserves another and I have been known to take them for a walk next morning before giving them breakfast. we also leave a bowl of water outside.

Guest Dave Newell
We have the real thing, 35 kilos of Dexter who is a boxer staffordshire bull terrier cross. Sweet dog when he's a boxer/staffy cross but not so sweet when he's a cross boxer/staffy! D.

Guest Brian Kirby
A policeman found a man standing on a street corner, jumping in the air and clapping his hands over his head. Not really a problem, he thought, but very odd. He therefore approached the man, to ask why he was doing this. "Keeping the elephants away", replied the man, a little breathlessly, between jumps. "My dear Sir", said the policeman, by now a little concerned, "there are'nt any elephants within 3000 miles of here". "Dam*ed effective, what?" Replied the man. Elephants, dog bowls, do they work? Only until the circus (or a burglar), comes round the corner! Throw something against the 'van side to see who's in and listen. No barking, probably no dog. Make noise outside van and rattle door. No growling, almost certainly no dog! Try breaking in, still no barking or growling - I'm in! It may make you feel comfortable, but it won't keep the thief away! You just have'ne been visited by one yet! Take care Brian

Guest carol hodgson
what about one of those devices that when it senses movement - barks. I believe you can set a distance before the sensor triggers the 'bark' so someone must be within a couple of feet of the senser. I think you would have to be a bit discriminate about when you used it - otherwise it would be a nuisance - but it's another deterrent! carol

Quite right Carol You can adjust the distance from where it picks up the intruder or passer by I would use it any where when sleeping in the van So it wakes you up when an inocent person walks by? From all the reports of gassings (real or imaginary) which is beat? To be woken up before the attacker gets near enough to start injecting the gass into the van, or; to be almost woken up but still too drowsy to take action while tha van is being filled with the gass ??????????????????????

Guest Brian P
Problem with the barking dog alarms is that although they are supposed to work over a 120 degree ark Ive found that they do still bark when you move behind it as well!!!!!

The barking dog "Proximity Detector" is intended to work a full 360 degrees around the van A proper prximity detector sets up an electro-magnetic or radio field around the container Any one/thing entering the field will cause a change - the detector recognises the change and is /should be set off Like an invisible electronic fence The distance around the "container" and the strength of the field (sensitivity)should both have an adjustment As I said earlier the idea is to wake you up BEFORE any attac (or visitor) can get close As opposed to a burgular or gas alarm that do not make any sound until the attack is underway Also being totaly confined within the container it cannot be detected fro outside Also unless it has a remote switch cannot be switched off from outside

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello PeteC, I think the point Brian was making was that if they work over a 120 degree (or 360 degree)arc which if they work similarly to the rodent alarms is in fact a 15 ft sphere then any movement within this sphere will trigger the alarm including you and the missus inside the van. Hope you get some sleep. Regards, Mike Chapman

As I understood it the purpose of the barking dog alarm is to deter a would be thief while you are away from the van ie shopping or whatever.The would be thief approaches the vehicle trips the ultra sonic alarm and before getting anywhere near to the vehicle is greeted by what he assumes is a barking dog. Hopefully this deters the thief and he then goes to look for an easier target.

Archived