skylight blind problem..

yorkyram1

Hi, Could anyone offer any advise on a problem regarding a concertina blind on a skylight?..The strings that run down each edge have come out and it's now unusable and impossible to open without it 'snarling up'..i should think it's unmendable myself but does anyone have any advise where i could have a new one fitted?..Has anyone had the same problem?..advise appreciated from any motor homers..lol..

Regards, Yorkyram.

Yes they are repairable, quite easily in fact. As you have not given any details on the Make/Model, I have to assume a few things.

Remove the screws and the inner section will drop down. Put it on the bench and look closely at it. One end of the cord will have pulled out of its location, you need to replace it and do something to stop it happening again.

What I did was to use 4 mm flat washers. I cut halfway through with a Junior Hacksaw and slipped the washer over the cord (this involves bending the washer to get it on and then flattening it afterwards). If only one side has come out, do the other one as well, while it is on the bench.

As 747 says, remove the inner plastic surround.

Some are held in place with screws, others are held in place with rubber ball type sockets (ie. invisible type fixing). If the latter, you need to carefully prise off the plastic surround by inserting a wide blade between the roof and the surround and systematically work round the perimeter.

My Remis skylight has about 10 such rubber ball joint fixings. Once you get the first one released, the others come away quite easily.

Archived