smell of burning. on first start up

Mark Wilkes

I am yet again seeking advice from the great people on this forum. I have a 2007 citroen relay campervan and when I first start the engine regardless of time of day there is a smell of burning and a puff of smoke rises up from the bonnet near the windscreen. it only happens on first start-up and then runs fine. my thought was the starter cable but it only happens once a day. please can anyone advise me on a possible solution prior to going to a garage. thank you once again.

Are you sure it is smoke and not hydrogen gas vapour from the battery, I had this once on a fiat .I had overfilled the battery with distilled water and rain had gotten on top of the battery too and liquid was leaking from the battery overflow pipe and dripping on to the cables below , there were live and neutral cables together here and the insulation had been dissolved by the acid solution, I used to get a small cloud of white vapour from front scuttle below the windscreen, luckily I discovered the cause before an inevitable fire occurred , and fixed the problem.Check it out ??

Mark has said that his motorhome is based on a 2007 Citroen Relay.

In his enquiry 3 weeks ago

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Citroen-relay-2007-door-problem/50978/

it was asked (but not answered) if his Relay was a X250 model. If it is, then its starter-battery will be in the cab beneath a removable cover in the left footwell.

Mark

Citroen “Relays” (called “Jumpers” outside the UK) that were built from mid-1993 tp mid-2006 are commonly called ‘2nd-generation’ models and an example is shown in the upper attached photo below.

Citroen “Relays” built from mid-2006 onwards are commonly called ‘3rd-generation’, with vehicles built from mid-2006 to mid-2014 often referred to as “X250” models, and those built from mid-2014 to the present date referred to as “X290” models. The lower photo below is of an X250-model Relay and the differences between the frontal appearance of this 3rd generation vehicle and the 2nd generation example will be very apparent.

As your campervan has its starter-battery under the bonnet, it will be a 2nd generation Relay, so presumably your Year-2007 reference to it relates to when it was first UK-registered.

As I said earlier, 3rd generation X250 (and X290) Relays have their starter-battery inside the vehicle in a compartment in the cab’s left footwell.

505953529_Relay-2ndgeneration.jpg.357b9fcb2bbca40cc8c521474b03d031.jpg

1157935838_Relay-3rdgeneration.jpg.fcfa14a8ddff997038f6e36ce15ca6cc.jpg

Attaching any sort of file to a posting on this forum requires that the file-size be no larger than 100KB.

With that file-size limitation I’m doubtful that it will be practicable to attach a video (even a quite short one) to a posting here - at any rate I don’t recall anyone having successfully done it.

Probably your best bet would be to load your video to (say) YouTube and then provide in a forum-posting a link to where the video is held.

The way I see it, if it’s a fluid leak it would currently be so very slight that it builds up overnight producing a lot of smoke on start up, but with multiple starts the small amount of dripping would burn off quickly and unnoticeably.

So I think I’d start it first thing in the morning (lots of smoke) then try it again 12 hours later (rather than 24hrs) with the bonnet open to see if there’s a reasonable quantity of smoke. I’d also check all the fluid levels to see if anything is dropping, ie brake fluid, engine oil, power steering oil, coolant water.

If it is a fluid leak, as mentioned previously by other posters, the starter would probably be the only immediate source of the combustion.

Whatever it is, I’d suggest that the issue is tracked down and fixed pronto. There’s always the danger that what is currently a little smoke could eventually turn to flame when least expected.

Another thought to muddy the water, could it be a loose manifold to exhaust pipe [down pipe] allowing exhaust gases / smoke to escape on start up or a loose joint on the first section of the exhaust from the down pipe?.It cannot be due to heat as the engine and other components will be cold when it happens as you describe things, your picture shows a pulley so is it a loose belt burning due to friction, is there a squeal or belt noise?

Mark’s main problem (as I understand it) is that he has nobody easily available who can start the vehicle while Mark checks what happens under the bonnet, or who can check what happens under the bonnet when Mark starts the engine. A secondary issue seems to be that, even if Mark takes his Relay to a garage, from what he has said the puff of smoke won’t conveniently occur straightaway as it only happens when the vehicle is first started. So the vehicle may need to be left with the garage for a while unless there are other visible clues to the cause.

There’s no doubt, though, that (as EJB advised above) the smoking/ burning smell needs to be investigated by someone with the necessary competence as, whatever the cause of those symptoms, there’s something clearly wrong.

Archived