spare bulb kit

yorkyram1

I made my own kit, it was't hard, but it was cost effective!

1 Look in the vehicle and converters handbooks for the various bulb specs and buy them either online or locally as the rear lights might differ

2 Acquire one empty ice cream tub - other tubs are available.

3 Pack said bulbs in said tub using offcuts of foam, cloth, tissues or anything else soft and suitable.

Alternatively look on Amazon and see if they do one for your vehicle or contact your dealer or the AA etc and ask.

I like Tracker's idea as then you will obtain a correct set of spares for a coach built vehicle. Even the front spec can vary eg my previous Autotrail Fiat cab had Fiat factory fitted led daylight running lights while my Adria based Fiat has old style bulbs. Cheers,

Similar to above, except I have had to replace a headlight bulb once a few years ago.

From a sheer legal point you need one of every type of bulb in your vehicle.

From a sheer safety aspect, I would suggest that you need

Headlight bulb

Stop light bulb

Indicator bulb

Maybe a rear light bulb ....... although from a safety aspect you can utilise rear foglights.

In 55 years of driving abroad I have never been asked to produce a spare bulb kit by the authorities.

It does beg the question with these modern cars/vehicles with fancy "in your face" arrays of LED driving lights, some of which are dual colour and function eg white/yellow, sidelight/indicator

How on earth do you carry a spare of one of those?

I would say that I’ve had to fit a spare sidelight bulb 50% of the times we’ve crossed on a ferry. The problem being the inclined ramps that not only shake your fillings out, but shatter the elements of bulbs. Also had a couple of headlamp bulbs fail.

All being well we’ll use the Tunnel next time

Regards

Albertslad

thebishbus - 2022-07-26 8:33 AM

Just as important as carrying spare bulbs is knowing how to fit them.

Brian B.

I expect no one really looks for a spare bulb kit now as there's not many capable of fitting one. Just like carrying a spare wheel Call the breakdown service is the answer nowadays.

I carry a complete set of habitation and vehicle bulbs as well as fuses and snap connectors in a sectioned box (bought so long ago that I cant remember where). it was probably a hobby box for storing thread or something about 9" x 6'" with about 20 sections. It takes up little space and is stored in the tray under the drivers seat

I have done this since I got my first van about 20 years ago so it has been updated as vans have changed. I will try to attach my chart (which is attached inside the box) as my vehicle is a Citroen Relay 2017 and your will be a Peugeot Boxer, essentially the same vehicle many of the vehicle bulbs will be the same. Check a list with your handbook and buy the bulbs from a local motor factor.

I store the bulbs sandwiched in foam.

If the file doesn't attach PM me and I will send you a copy.

2010630281_Screenshot2022-07-29at08_16_27.png.d227fb79bccef701437ac9e665dd457f.png

An additional factor which I forgot to mention concerns habitation bulbs. In past times I used to carry a range of spares for these as well, having since 2006 replaced traditional bulbs with LED bulbs. Originally LED "conversion bulbs" had some complexities but nowadays they are very reliable and very rarely fail so I just don't carry spares for them any more just a good torch and a small emergency lantern.

In France, at least, it is a legal requirement to carry a kit of spare bulbs for the legally required exterior lights. That is to say headlamp main and dipped beams, high level, or side, marker lights, daytime running lights, side/parking lights, indicator lights front and rear (that is to say if the front indicators take the same bulb as the rear, one bulb, otherwise one for each), plus stop, tail, and rear number plate bulbs.

If driving at night, or in conditions that require lights to be used (including tunnels, fog, falling snow, rain, heavy road spray etc.) and your vehicle has a defective lamp, the French police will be liable to "pull you" and point out the defective lamp. If you then can't produce the said bulb kit, you will be liable to an on-the-spot fine.

If the road conditions are such that a roadside replacement would place you in danger, you should be allowed to continue to a place of safety to fit the spare bulb. If the lamp replacement is a garage job, you should be allowed to continue to the nearest garage for assistance and, if it is after bed-time for garagistes, you should be allowed to continue on your way with a probable warning that if the vehicle is again pulled for the same defective lamp the following day, you will be liable to a fine.

What would actually happen under any of the above scenarios will be a matter that will depend on your demeanour at the time, the cop involved, and (in the case of a bulb that is recommended for workshop replacement: for instance some xenon or LED headlamp bulbs) how well you are able to communicate the problem to the cop.

The probable outcome is that, providing you have a spare bulb kit, you will sent on your way with a strong recommendation to get the bulb replaced a.s.a.p. But, given a grumpy cop having a bad day, if you don't have that bulb kit, a fine beckons. So regarding a spare bulb kit, ask yourself, in Dirty Harry style, do you feel lucky? :-D

Simplest risk management strategy? Just get the bulb kit and at least show willing.

Archived