sterlising motorhome water system

Grumpyman

I also use puriclean in powder form for start and end of season sterilising. I also carry a pack of puriclean tablets for use if required while away, although never had to use them.

Expect any water to have a slight chemical taste for a day or so after cleaning, it does disappear after a while.

Davy

Grumpyman - 2020-07-04 3:45 PM

Whats the best product to sterilise a motorhome water system.Without damaging any filters.

My preference is Elsan "Fresh Water Tank Clean", which is liquid so disperses instantly into the fill. Once purified and flushed I add Elsan Elsil to the water and to each subsequent fill to preserve the condition of the water. No taints, no smells, no algae. Whether this is "best" I can't say, but it definitely works very well, and I've been using both products for about 10 years. Neither contains chlorine, so stainless steel elements of the water system, (e.g. Truma water heater reservoirs) are not at risk. Caravan/motorhome dealers/accessory shops should have stock.

Guest rael
I always drain the tank after we've been away and leave all the taps open and the lid off the fresh water tank. We never use the onboard water for cooking/drinking, we use bottles water instead. The onboard water only gets used for hot water for washing/shower etc. I have sterilised in the past but it seems like such a waste of water filling up the tank then chucking away. I'll generally put about 1/4 tank of water in and let it slosh around and run it through the system and water heater, then ditch it. Is sterilisation needed? What about lemon juice as an alternative? Advice appreciated.

Archived