stop overs going south to spain/

fesspark

Hello again, we are off to spain via ferry to cherbourg in early January, looking in our airs book, only Jans and nozay appear to be o.k.for 1st night stop,anyone know if either of these are still open? the camping car park do not have any in that region? cheers fesspark

According to camper contact Jans and Nozay are open all year, as is the aire at nearby Grand Fougeray N 47.722380, W 1.729800. We stopped at Ducey south of Avranches beginning of November which was open, but this may not be far enough south for you. Happy travels.

we do this trip most Januarys and will be off again on the 8th from poole to cherbourg.

we travel via the Western route, better, milder weather, less chance of snow etc.

a convenient stop (given the ferry arrives just after lunch is the Nantes area...we have been using the aire at Les Sorrinières close to the southern edge of the ring road....room for 4/5 vans, Lidl round the corner.

however, we discovered the aire (overnight behind the Eglise) at Aigrefeuille-sur-Maine which is a pleasnt little village about 15 mins SE on the D137.

we then move on to Irun (car park nr McDonalds) and then via Pamplona and Zaragosa, down the A23 to Sagunt and (often) to Benicassim.

might see you on the road....

looks like a modern, clean stop over...however its around 6hr from cherbourg (incl a break) on the toll and its another €9 for parking.

non toll adds another 45 mins to the trip, thats a long way to do when strating at around 2pm exiting ferry.

its easy to go non toll, dual carriageway all,the way to les sorrinieres or aigrefeuille in 4 hrs+ and then have a test, tackling the long haul to Irun the next morning.

This link allows the tarifs for the A63 autoroute to be calculated

http://www.a63-atlandes.fr/fr/calculateur-de-tarifs/

The tarif for an A63 trip from the Bordeaux/Arcachon entry to the St Geours de Marenne exit is quoted as 11.40 € for a Class 2 vehicle.

I notice that ‘poids lourds’ vehicles (ie vehicles with a maximum overall weight exceeding 3500kg) are categorised as Class A, B or C (explained on attachment below) and also their Euro emissions class. But, provided that your motorhome is less than 3.0 metres in height and/or has a maximum overall weight up to 3500kg, this should not affect you.

415852295_Vehicleclasses.png.491ad96f72acafc4e401d148e894e19f.png

Cherbourg to Oropeso is our regular last Saturday of January route.

Last year we got to the aire at Mauléon at about 7.30pm. If we don't fancy too much driving on the first day we use the Aire de Lambrecy Est service area, just north of Nantes. We get there by 6pm.

If Somport is looking clear we use the Aire at Oloron Saint Marie for our second night.

If it's looking dodgy, we'll get to Bertizco Jaurerria National Park motor motorhome parking on the N121a north of Pamplona.

Arrive in Oropesa Monday afternoon, both ways.

No toll roads ever used.

We waited for Aferry's Black Friday deals to book January's trip. We normally book when Britanny opens the book and pay around £250 with C&CC 10% discount. Book price is £280.

Got our return for £183, yesterday.

Guest pelmetman

Is it me :-S ..........

But after nearly 30 years of Mohoing :-| .......

I actually quite like campsites :$ ........

But judging by the number of campers on here........I'm not alone :D .......

Nicepix - 2019-11-30 8:11 PM

I am a bit intrigued about what defines a secure site?...

As you will be well aware, Camping-Car Park (CCP) sites do not have the same level of ‘security' as (say) a campsite with a high metal boundary fence and gate and an on-site warden supervising entry. But that’s inevitable as CCP sites need to have an entrance/exit method that permits the site to be usable 24/7 and all-year-round, and the method employed is just a simple lifting barrier a typical example of which is shown in the attachment below. Plainly this won’t stop pedestrians or cyclists from entering, but it should deter ‘gens du voyage’ who might otherwise wish to exploit a CCP site’s water and 230V facilities.

Fesspark asks about CCP sites in his initial posting ("the camping car park do not have any in that region?”) hence my provision of links to a list of CCP sites and a map showing where they are. In that post Fesspark mentions Jans and Nozay, suggesting that he plans to travel on the N137. A couple of campsites (Bourg-des-Comptes and Blain) should be open all-year-round and are reasonably close to the N137, and there’s a CCP site at Nantes.

https://campingcarpark.com/en/shop/parking-areas/nantes-petit-port-centre/

If I were driving from Cherbourg to Spain in January, I wouldn’t be considering CCP sites or campsites - I’d just want to get down to Spain with minimal delay, overnighting on ‘aires’. The Brittanny Ferries ship should arrive in Cherbourg at 13.45 and Via Michelin indicates that the distance to Nozay is 177 miles with 142 miles on motorways - 3 o 4 hours to Nozay if the weather is OK.

Comments on the campingcar-infos website suggest that the aire at Grand Fougeray (mentioned above by phalange) should be a good bet fot the 1st overnight stop.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=15365

barrier.jpg.16f756cf6efdd760af809f6092c6c96c.jpg

Or if you are just wanting a stop over you can just find one of the many supermarkets with a service point and park overnight in a quiet corner. Although, if just overnighting on the way to somewhere I'll often use a picnic site or halt nautique of there is one about. We will have planned for water and don't need a EHU so why pay €9 or €10 to park inside a defined patch of tarmac when other patches of tarmac can be parked on for nowt?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived