street parking

Guest alex

I am about to take delivery of my first motorhome. It is 5.5mtrs long. Can anyone advise me if this can be parked legally in the street and lived in (where there are no parking restrictions), as it wont fit in my drive. thanx

Guest Dave B
A motorcaravan unlike a caravan, can be parked in the street legally provided it is taxed and insured, however some developers have a covenant restricting the parking of a caravan, I have had a neighbour trying to insist that I am causing an obstruction, however as I say provided your vehicle is taxed and insured, the authorities might check, but it comes to nothing if you have parked close to the kerb, not blocking a drive or other road you are safe.

Legally a motor-caravan is a car (or a "heavy car" if over 3500kg)and can be parked anywhere a car can be. That's on public roads; obviously private property is different. In the real world, you may have trouble with vandalism. Mine's been vandalised four times in the last six months. And of course our magnificent police are not interested.

Guest PeteC
Yes you can park in the street where you live. If there are notices requiring a permit for residents go to the Town Hall and apply for one You cannot live in it though but what counts as 'living' in it could becoume a legal argument, say for instance you just wanted to sleep in it at night

Archived