technical

Guest kerry

Guest kerry
Hi, When I first start my Peugeot Boxer, 2.5 TD, For a few minutes smoke (burnt oil,I guess) comes out of the exhaust pipe. Soon,after three or four minutes, it clears and runs clean, if the engine is stopped and restarted while warm, virtually no smoke is emmited. It has done under 20,000 miles. I have noticed that some diesle engines start up without smoke coming from the exhaust. Does it just need a full service (new filters etc) or does this neccessarily indicate something more sinister?

Guest Mike C
Hello Kerry, Is the smoke blue or black. If black it is almost definitely unburned diesel fuel and may be due to over-fuelling or revving the engine up on start up. Could possibly be fuel left from the last time you used it. Do you rev the engine before you switch off? This is unlikely to be serious and may just need adjustment. If blue smoke this is likely to be more serious as it indicates the burning of engine oil caused by such as bore wear or a broken piston ring. Best bet is to get the vehicle inspected and put your mind at rest. Regards, Mike C.

Guest Gordon
First of all if its due a service get it done so as to quench your sinister fear.If however the engine rattles,produces blue smoke on start up and on overrun ask for an oppinion but not at a garage as they will say you need a new engine.The garages see motorhomes coming and the money rolls in there eyes. The answer is there is nothing wrong with it.Condensation,cold engine,only 20,000 miles,could be mentioned but i`m sure someone will give you a long winded overture to your problem starting with the start of life as we know it. Also the modern diesel (which this one is not)is computer control with inputs to its brain (ECU) from all its sensors so you`ve less chance in seeing their warm up smoke . Good Motorhoming, Gordon.

Guest Clive
Suspicuous but did you purchase the vehicle new? of is it second hand?. If so have you proof of the mileage?

Guest roger s
Hi Kerry, my 2.5TD is similar and always has been since new. Turn engine on, black smoke then seconds later none and it doesnt happen again that day, its only the first start that it happens. Engine has been checked and has a regular service - dont worry about it

Guest kerry
Thanks a lot, you guys, most of you have put my mind at rest. This talk of broken piston rings puts me in mind of lovely childish postcard joke I once saw and have now forgotten... there's a bloke peering at his car engine, and a passer by asks 'piston broke?' 'No,' he answers 'I've only had a coupla pints'. Remember it?

Guest Mark R
Yes, smoke for a few seconds at first start but Kerry is getting smoke for three or four minutes on an engine with under 20000 miles. Unusual for the turbo engine to smoke badly on start up unlike the non turbo 2.5. As for condensation, I doubt it. As Gordon suggests if it is due a service get it done and mention the smoke on start up. Most likely needs a new air filter. If you are going to post a question it helps if you give all the details. Do remember the joke wasnt it a seaside postcard?

Archived