the garage did suck out some oil

gp1

I should have added that I have built numerous engines for oval racing which included enlarging the sump and modifying the pick-up pipe to ensure adequate flow to pump. Always in my mind was to get as much oil in as possible to ensure adequate lubrication even if it exceeded the dip stick marking slightly.

It good to see your garage works on the principle that the customer is always right.

I had a Volvo V70 a few years ago and I was told that the oil level must be set below the high mark when filled as the oil level would go up slightly between services due to a small amount of fuel getting into the system during some sort of exhaust gas burn off phase.

Thanks for the comments. Knowing nothing about engines i thought i would try expecting them to call me an idiot. So i was pleasently surprised that they didnt pull faces or make me feel like i was someone from off another planet. I was genuinely thrilled when they started calling out for the pump to be brought which it eventually was. A great big thing the hieght of a large dog. I wish id given them a fiver but i didnt have one on me.

Suction pumps to extract oil from motors are widely marketed at widely different asking prices. There’s a large capacity one in this advert

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9l-Pneumatic-Oil-Suction-Fluid-Extractor-Transfer-Vacuum-Pump-Manual/25015755445?iid=292433739533&chn=ps

This method of oil extraction is commonly used for boat inboard powerplants, where removing a drain-plug from the underside of the motor will be impracticable. It’s also a ‘cleaner' method of removing the oil that would otherwise need to gravity-drain into a receptacle.

Whether it’s the best method of oil removal as part of an oil-change is open to question, as there’s no certainty that - with every vehicle engine - the pump’s extraction-tube will reach to the very bottom of the motor’s interior. It’s certain that, whenever the oil is removed via a suction pump, more of the old oil will be left in the vehicle’s sump than if the ‘traditional’ gravity-draining method were used. Having said that, if a motor has been over-filled with new oil, removing excess oil using a suction pump would be the simplest approach.

(Garage personnel are well used to customers who are mechanically/trchnically clueless and in your case the garage had admitted that they had over-filled your motorhome’s engine with oil. They may well have thought (as was advised here) that the amount of over-filling was insufficient to warrant removing the excess, but offending you by saying that, and refusing to carry out a simple task using a suction pump that they had in their workshop, would hardly have been good for business.)

Yes i am fairly clueless when it comes to engine maintenance. If the manufacturer gave a recomended set of limitations for components i guess it was safer to follow them than risk any potential future probs. Especially as oil and coolant are the main components of a healthy engine and the engine itself has only done a few thousand miles im hoping it will last a long time. Cheers.

Archived