thule step

k99bbb

My step does not seem to go right in i think there looks to be a switch which it should touch

When i start the engine the step makes a rattling noise so stop engine then it with some time work OK

Have cleaned the moving parts and sprayed with white grease

I know it doesn't help, however, my Thule step is doing something very similar, for whatever reasons it now does not retract the last inch. I have tried giving it an additional shove as it retracts, not making any difference. Slightly concerned it may catch something so would also like a resolution.

I believe your motorhome was built in 2017 and online photos indicate that it will have a common-or-garden Thule Omnistep slide-out 400 (V18) step (also fitted to my 2015 Rapido).

My (fully retracted) step got smacked violently on its front corner in France by a vindictive temporary road bollard, and when I dismantled the step I found that the screws and bolts that held the internal bits together had not all been properly tightened when the step was manufactured.

You may need to pull your step apart and check what’s happening within the cassete (Watch your fingers!!) It may be that something is loose or just that the bearings and linkages require a good clean and lubrication.

I was just going to put up a similar thread - The step on Our Autotrail Tracker 2011 has developed a very similar problem. I had probems with the step during the warranty period and the dealer rectified it by replacing the 'poly fuse'. Further investigation I presume it is the polymer EM fuse. I have tried to locate it via the Autotrail manual wiring diagram and internet without any success.

Any info. would be gratefully received and may help above problems.

After further digging found some information on Polyfuse replacement. It is - Sargent Electrical Services - Polyfuse Replacement within EC4 and EC500 series PSU's. Reading the info it is not a simple job normally associated with changing a fuse. It involves some soldering work. Hope this might be useful with respect to some of the above probs.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-28 3:28 PM

I believe your motorhome was built in 2017 and online photos indicate that it will have a common-or-garden Thule Omnistep slide-out 400 (V18) step (also fitted to my 2015 Rapido).

My (fully retracted) step got smacked violently on its front corner in France by a vindictive temporary road bollard, and when I dismantled the step I found that the screws and bolts that held the internal bits together had not all been properly tightened when the step was manufactured.

You may need to pull your step apart and check what’s happening within the cassete (Watch your fingers!!) It may be that something is loose or just that the bearings and linkages require a good clean and lubrication.

Agreed, need to open it up and have a good look at what is going on. Wont do any harm to know how to dismantle and re assemble as it seems to act as a magnet to mud, dirt and soil and is always dirty even when the rest of the van is clean so I think it needs more regular attention

If not already fitted, you might consider adding front mud-flaps to your motorhome as your step’s in the line of fire for road muck thrown up by the left front wheel.

I know I accessed the internals of my Rapido’s step by removing its lower cover, but I may have taken the top cover off too as there’s a reasonable amount of space above my step’s cassette. Despite my step being mounted further rearwards than yours and the vehicle having front mud-flaps, there was still a lot of dirt and grit inside. Waterproofing is clearly not high on the design priority list for these steps.

Archived