tom tom

Pete-B

My TomTom Camper as been a right pain recently constantly wanting to send me down alternative routes even though I send map directions to it from the TomTom My Drive maps. I know the route I choose is the best one and that's the one I send to it but it still want to ignore.

Getting so fed up with it that maybe a change is going to be an option. With that in mind tell me from your experience what Sat Nav would you choose? It would still be good to plan a route on my laptop and then send it to the device as I do now if that's possible.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Which TT do you have? We have a 5100, a bit slow to start up nowadays, apart from that routing is pretty good, only ever let it choose it's own routes and if I remember check them, last two times I've disagreed with the routing and carried on with the route 'I know is best' I've found it was routing me around traffic jams :$

It's the TT Go camper.

I plan the best route on the TT My Drive app on my laptop and then send to device. The last 3 journeys it's tried to divert me from the chosen route and each time I've ignored it and reached my destination with no problems!!!

Again as Keith has pointed out to you ,your Tom Tom unit itself may be set to fastest route ,this will override your pre planned route on your "My Drive" on your laptop

Make sure they are in sync' sometimes on My Drive you have to open a second map by logging on again

Make sure then your Tom Tom matches your My Drive in settings also

They should then Sync' perfectly to your chosen route

I've no hands-on experience of TomTom sat-nav devices, nor of sat-navs that permit vehicle dimensions to be input.

The User Manual for the TomTom GO Camper device can be viewed here

https://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/GO_Camper/refman/TomTom-GO-CAMPER-EU-UM-en-gb.pdf

and the "Settings" section begins on Page 153.

The advice on this link MAY also be useful

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/LIVE/html/en-gb/Selectingaroutetype-NavcoreQ1.htm

This 2020 TomTom forum entry discussed 'peculiar' routing with a GO Camper device

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1120211/may-i-pose-a-question-to-go-camper-owners-please

Where choosing a sat-nav is concerned, I've never driven a vehicle large enough to concern me about having the option to input the vehicle's size or weight. My Garmin nuvi 2559LM is an straightforward 'car' device and using Settings/Navigation/Calculation Mode allows me to choose between

Faster Time (Minimises driving time)

Off Road (Shows a straight line to the destination)

Shorter Distance (Minimises driving distance)

Less Fuel (selects fuel-efficient roads)

When I go into Settings/Navigation/Calculation Mode, it's visibly obvious from the screen which of those four modes is 'active' and will be used when a route is calculated . (Always Faster Time in my case.)

To minimise the chance of mis-routing (or peculiar routing) my experience has been that it's important to keep the sat-nav's software and mapping as up to date as possible.

(Max (mtravel) may be able to advise whether BaseCamp software and a Garmin Camper sat-nav might provide more predictable routing. than a TomTom My Drive + TomTom Camper combination.)

I believe no one anymore buys satnav without lifetime map updates included.

That said, when you do Garmin updates, the procedure asks if you want to download them to your navigator, your PC, or both.

If you also download them on your PC, Base Camp which is an OFFLINE App will use the same map you have on the satnav.

You also have the possibility to connect (USB) the satnav to the PC, in this case, all the POIs you have on the navigator will also be available in Base Camp.

Base Camp has the ability to search for a place by name, address, postal code, coordinates, etc.

Once the itinerary has been prepared, you can download it on the satnav.

The opposite is also true, the itineraries traveled and stored in the satnav can be downloaded in Base Camp.

As for the navigation mode, you can choose the same as the satnav:

shorter, faster, etc., avoid tolls, motorways, offroads, car pooling lanes, etc.

Unfortunately this choice is valid for the whole itinerary and not for the single stage, I find this a limitation but considering that the program is free ...

Hi

Again Tom Tom works very well once you sync' your "My Drive" to your Tom Tom device .

You can actually select a route you prefer on your "My Drive" OR, Make a route to suit yourself and sync' it to your TomTom device

I have Tom Toms and never a problem with them anywhere or in any Country. I have mine set for avoid toll roads and always fastest route , avoid toll roads does not mean NO Motorways, only ones with tolls, I do not have the facility of setting height or other dimensions of my vehicle , I know a low bridge sign etc when I see it so I see no need for all that Faff, I also have all speed camera notification sounds enabled and speed limit warning sounds set to on,

One thing I would add however is that I always plan a shorter journey than I am undertaking , as if you go wrong or decide to deviate from the planned route the Tom Tom re computes a route faster if it does not have to plan hundreds of miles ahead, so if I am driving from Southampton to Benidorm for instance I would input Dover Ferry port as my destination , and on arrival I would input somewhere closer in Spain as my next way point , and so on, works for me . I also have rest stops ie Motorway stops and similar icons for my Journeys and that is about it, too many icons popping up the screen on journeys clutter things up I think, I have life time updates on maps available to me via PC connections as and when I want to do this , So overall I am more than happy with my Tom TOMs and at about £100 to buy I am happy if I have to get a new one every few years,

Archived