transit reverse trigger

Guest Billy

I have a reversing camera that requires a positive, negative and a reverse trigger. My van is a 2005 transit rear wheel drive were would I find the reverse trigger other than the reversing lights. Somebody said I could take it from the gearbox but what colour is the wire and were do they go into the box. Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks

Seriously, If you are unable to lay under the vehicle and see where the switch is screwed into the side of the gearbox its probably better that you get an Auto Electrician to wire in your reversing camera system for you. I would add that I have not done this for my own camera. The monitor is mounted directly above the internal rear view mirror and is on all the time the key switch is turned on. The camera is mounted at roof height looking down at an angle and the angle of lens is just sufficient to see the horizon and also enable me to reverse a very short trailer I tow behind. Take care

Guest Derek Uzzell
Your friendly Ford dealer is the obvious person to ask. Otherwise you could try writing to the Ford Technical Information Centre, PO Box 300, WALSALL, WS5 4QH (Tel: 0906 5533447 - £1/min) or (FAX: 01922 725266) It's possible that the exact position of the gearbox reverse-switch may depend on whether the gearbox is 5- or 6-speed, but (as Clive suggests) the switch ought to be straightforward to identify visually. Assuming that you intend to use the camera purely as a reversing-aid (unlike Clive's always-on-while-driving approach) I'm curious why you are choosing not to exploit the vehicle's reversing lights in the 'normal' manner. Is there a particular reason for this, please?

Thanks for all the replies, had a look under the van 3 wires go into a plug at a position of 5 o’clock going into the 6 speed box. I am interested in the idea of the camera being on all the time now. Everything else I’ve fitted I have just 4 wires to connect, +, -, trigger and dimmer. The reason I ask the cheapest quote I had to fit it was £150 + VAT unfortunately am not based in England so its difficulty. thanks

Guest Dave Newell
Billy, Go for the always on setup by connecting the reverse trigger wire to the ignition switched power feed that way it will come on every time you switch the ignition on. As for the dimmer connection I rarely bother to connect it as all it does is dim the display when you put your lights on and therefore IMHO not worth the effort. D.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Billy: Forget my last question. I must have been thinking about audible 'bleeper type' reversing-aid systems where initiation and 12V power usually involve the reversing lights themselves. Clearly with camera-based reversing systems, where the camera is normally powered by a direct connection to the monitor, it's likely to be a whole lot easier connecting to the gearbox switch (if you wish the system to work only when the vehicle is put in reverse gear) rather than to the reversing lights. One often sees 'wireless' camera-based reversing systems being offered at leisure shows. These avoid the need for a connection cable between monitor and camera, thus simplifying installation. In this case the camera does take its power from the vehicle's reversing lights. The potential problem with a wireless system comes when you want to use it in the way Clive does (and you are considering) as it's difficult to know where to get the camera's 12V supply from. I raised this point with a salesman once and was told to connect the camera to the rear lights as "the law in all Continental European countries was that vehicles always needed to have their lights on whenever they were driven, and that the UK would be passing a similar law in 6 months." I think I was told that in 2004 and I'm still waiting! However, wireless systems do come into their own for caravans.

Archived