truma ultrastore rapid

Guest chas

Hi- my new motorhome is fitted with a truma ultrastore rapid water heater which works on gas or electric or both together. What I would like to know is it o.k. not to have to remove the outside vent cowl when only used on electric, I know that if gas is used it needs to vent out fumes. The instuctions make no mention of the cowl removel on electric. Having to find a home for the cowl when off not to mention the struggle to remove it + heavy rain or insects getting in, makes me think its a chore I can do without, particulary as most sites are with EHU. Thanks Chas.

Guest Derek Uzzell
I wasn't aware that Truma Ultrastore appliances had a "Rapid" version. Perhaps this just differentiates current models that have an 850W electric heating element from earlier boilers where 230V power was 450W. Anyway, I don't think it bears on your inquiry. The simple answer is that you can leave the cowl-cap in place when you are NOT using gas to heat the water in the boiler. The cowl-cap's purpose is to protect the open end of the boiler's gas-flue and the cap only needs removing when the heater is running in gas (or gas + 230V) mode. When the boiler is running solely on 230V then the gas-flue is unused and the cowl-cap can stay on. Unless you NEVER intend to use your boiler on gas, I suggest that you leave the cowl-cap off, except for any long periods when your motorhome is not being used or when you are employing a hose to clean it. It's very rare for Continental motorcaravanners to have gas + 230V Truma boilers and I don't think I've ever seen a cowl-cap fitted to the Ultrastore flue of a 'foreign' motorhome other than on brand new dealership vehicles. I note Truma's warning about water and/or insect ingress, but I see this as a lesser risk than you forgetting to take off the cowl-cap and then have it melt from hot exhaust gasses.

Guest Keith T
Our Rapido 710F is equipped with the gas only version for water heating, and says to remove the cover when using, and quite clearly to ensure it is in place when travelling. I don't find any problems in rememebering this, as the voer is normally stored within the gas locker which also need to be truned off for travelling. Fortunaetly the levelling blocks also live here, and seem to be used quite frequently. I also have a 'mental' check list, so when removeing the electircs lead, as that's adjacement to the heater cover, can do both at the same time,

Archived